Quantcast

1960 Royal Enfield 700 VAX for sale

Joe Tokarz
Hi RE Group
I'm new to the group but not to RE's. Previous rides were 1968 1/2 Series I and current 1960 VAX and that's the reason for this post.

I have for sale a very rare 1960 Royal Enfield 700 cc twin made with a special engine designation, VAX. Only 211 bikes were made with this engine during 1960 and '61. The engine number VAX 60160 is one of only 18 survivors in the world as verified by the Royal Enfield Owners Club of North America. (REOCNA). The original designation was 700 Interceptor made for Coopers in the USA.

It is believed that the VAX designation was an experimental model utilizing refined crank balancing but thats not verified. The bike model was original intended for desert racing however sales didn't materialize so the RE distributor John Cooper, got parts from the factory to convert the bikes to street form. That's why it has only a Smith's chronometric speedometer.

The bike has 4925 original miles. Compete ownership history has been researched and documented. The bike comes with copies of the shop and parts manuals, parts receipts as well as a small collection of spares including the original engine bash-plate. The bike has a clear and transferable Florida title.

My son and I have owned this bike for 12 years since 1995. It is a one or 2 kick starter with a great sounding exhaust note. Ride it as is or do a cosmetic paint and cleanup. During the past 2 years various improvements have been made for reliability ands personal taste.

Asking $6500 USD. Email me for questions, list of improvements, Classic Bike VAX article and link to hi-res pictures.

Best REgards

Texas Joe

Re: 1960 Royal Enfield 700 VAX for sale

charlottebulleteer
are there any pictures of the bike?

--- In [hidden email], "Joe Tokarz" <joe.tokarz@...>
wrote:

> Hi RE Group
> I'm new to the group but not to RE's. Previous rides were 1968 1/2
Series I and current 1960 VAX and that's the reason for this post.

> I have for sale a very rare 1960 Royal Enfield 700 cc twin made
with a special engine designation, VAX. Only 211 bikes were made with
this engine during 1960 and '61. The engine number VAX 60160 is one
of only 18 survivors in the world as verified by the Royal Enfield
Owners Club of North America. (REOCNA). The original designation was
700 Interceptor made for Coopers in the USA.

> It is believed that the VAX designation was an experimental model
utilizing refined crank balancing but thats not verified. The bike
model was original intended for desert racing however sales didn't
materialize so the RE distributor John Cooper, got parts from the
factory to convert the bikes to street form. That's why it has only a
Smith's chronometric speedometer.

> The bike has 4925 original miles. Compete ownership history has
been researched and documented. The bike comes with copies of the
shop and parts manuals, parts receipts as well as a small collection
of spares including the original engine bash-plate. The bike has a
clear and transferable Florida title.

> My son and I have owned this bike for 12 years since 1995. It is a
one or 2 kick starter with a great sounding exhaust note. Ride it as
is or do a cosmetic paint and cleanup. During the past 2 years
various improvements have been made for reliability ands personal
taste.

> Asking $6500 USD. Email me for questions, list of improvements,
Classic Bike VAX article and link to hi-res pictures.

> Best REgards
>
> Texas Joe

Re: Re: 1960 Royal Enfield 700 VAX for sale

Joe Tokarz
Charlotte

12 pictures are at    http://photos.yahoo.com/jtokarz2005office

Where are you located?

Joe

  > I'm new to the group but not to RE's. Previous rides were 1968 1/2
  Series I and current 1960 VAX and that's the reason for this post.

  > I have for sale a very rare 1960 Royal Enfield 700 cc twin made
  with a special engine designation, VAX. Only 211 bikes were made with
  this engine during 1960 and '61. The engine number VAX 60160 is one
  of only 18 survivors in the world as verified by the Royal Enfield
  Owners Club of North America. (REOCNA). The original designation was
  700 Interceptor made for Coopers in the USA.

  > It is believed that the VAX designation was an experimental model
  utilizing refined crank balancing but thats not verified. The bike
  model was original intended for desert racing however sales didn't
  materialize so the RE distributor John Cooper, got parts from the
  factory to convert the bikes to street form. That's why it has only a
  Smith's chronometric speedometer.

  > The bike has 4925 original miles. Compete ownership history has
  been researched and documented. The bike comes with copies of the
  shop and parts manuals, parts receipts as well as a small collection
  of spares including the original engine bash-plate. The bike has a
  clear and transferable Florida title.

  > My son and I have owned this bike for 12 years since 1995. It is a
  one or 2 kick starter with a great sounding exhaust note. Ride it as
  is or do a cosmetic paint and cleanup. During the past 2 years
  various improvements have been made for reliability ands personal
  taste.

  > Asking $6500 USD. Email me for questions, list of improvements,
  Classic Bike VAX article and link to hi-res pictures.

  > Best REgards
  >
  > Texas Joe

Spark plug cleaner

patrickj_crum
For about the price of 2 iridium spark plugs, I picked up one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32860

Ironically the very next day I fouled out a plug-unfortunately it was my spare, as I fouled out last week as well. Luckily I was only 3 relatively flat miles from home, and just pushed her home, with the help of my 11 year old son.
I actually had 3 plugs on me, but they were all old- none would spark.
So I got home and set up the cleaner and my compressor. In less than 2 minutes, I had 3 practically new plugs! This thing works great! It does however use a fine metallic abrasive, so if you use one, be sure to clean them thoroughly before putting them back in your machine!
Next I need to figure out how I managed to foul 2 plugs in 200 miles! I went all winter and spring on the same plug (rode 3-5 days a week all winter, but lately I seem to be fouling them every few hundred miles. Carbon fouled- but I don't appear to burn oil at all. Maybe I need to do some plug chops again, but I don't understand how these would change- I did the chops last fall under relatively similar conditions and they were spot on.

Cheers,
Pat

Re: 1960 Royal Enfield 700 VAX for sale

chumma
Wow, that is a beautiful machine.
i am sorry you want to sell that, but happy you have to the right place.
gl

--- In [hidden email], "Joe Tokarz" <joe.tokarz@...> wrote:

> Charlotte
>
> 12 pictures are at    http://photos.yahoo.com/jtokarz2005office
>
> Where are you located?
>
> Joe

Re: Spark plug cleaner

Sali Rostami

 I also wouldn't be without one of the H.F.T. 'plug
cleaners; it does a fine job. By-the-way, they're
frequently placed on sale at a price of about $8.

 I am also concerned about the abrasive supplied. Is
there a commonly available alternative? What about
Joisey beach-sand?

--- "Patrick J. Crum" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For about the price of 2 iridium spark plugs, I
> picked up one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32860

> Ironically the very next day I fouled out a
> plug-unfortunately it was my spare, as I fouled out
> last week as well. Luckily I was only 3 relatively
> flat miles from home, and just pushed her home, with
> the help of my 11 year old son.
> I actually had 3 plugs on me, but they were all old-
> none would spark.
> So I got home and set up the cleaner and my
> compressor. In less than 2 minutes, I had 3
> practically new plugs! This thing works great! It
> does however use a fine metallic abrasive, so if you
> use one, be sure to clean them thoroughly before
> putting them back in your machine!
> Next I need to figure out how I managed to foul 2
> plugs in 200 miles! I went all winter and spring on
> the same plug (rode 3-5 days a week all winter, but
> lately I seem to be fouling them every few hundred
> miles. Carbon fouled- but I don't appear to burn oil
> at all. Maybe I need to do some plug chops again,
> but I don't understand how these would change- I did
> the chops last fall under relatively similar
> conditions and they were spot on.
>
> Cheers,
> Pat

> removed]

http://tv.yahoo.com/

Re: Spark plug cleaner

Pete Snidal

>Next I need to figure out how I managed to foul 2 plugs in 200 miles!

Were they both the same make?  And that was what?

Re: Spark plug cleaner

wvenfield-2
--- In [hidden email], Al <k3eax@...> wrote:

>  I also wouldn't be without one of the H.F.T. 'plug
> cleaners; it does a fine job. By-the-way, they're
> frequently placed on sale at a price of about $8.
>
>  I am also concerned about the abrasive supplied. Is
> there a commonly available alternative? What about
> Joisey beach-sand?

 Plastics. Use a plastic media. Still works and it isn't as fine as
sand and easier to make sure there are no particles left.

Re: Spark plug cleaner

Sali Rostami

 Thanks for the tip but what
 is plastic media? What is the trade name and where is
it sold?

--- wvenfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], Al <k3eax@...>
> wrote:
> >

> >  I also wouldn't be without one of the H.F.T.
> 'plug
> > cleaners; it does a fine job. By-the-way, they're
> > frequently placed on sale at a price of about $8.
> >
> >  I am also concerned about the abrasive supplied.
> Is
> > there a commonly available alternative? What about
> > Joisey beach-sand?
> >

>  Plastics. Use a plastic media. Still works and it
> isn't as fine as
> sand and easier to make sure there are no particles
> left.

http://tv.yahoo.com/

Re: Spark plug cleaner

wvenfield-2
 I'll have to lool further as to where a guy would buy it in small
quantities but this link would give you some idea what I'm talking
about. You can google PLastic blaster material and get alot of links.

http://www.compomat.com/plasticGrit.asp

 We make small plastic pellets where I work and it's where I get
mine.

 There was an article in Hemmings I believe (or one of their
offshoot magazines) about this within the last year or so which gave
me the idea.

_______________Ready for the edge of your seat?