2002 Military

rompala
I have a chance to pick up a 2002 RE Military electric start model.  I have had other bikes and do my own maintenance.  I have some questions.  I hope to get some answers/opinions.

1) I plan to use this bike as a scooter.  I know that sounds funny but I will not tour on it.  Mostly for just cruising the neighborhood or back roads.  Maybe an occasional short trip.  Is this a good bike for it?

2) Do you spend more time maintaining Enfields than riding them?  The Internet has some comments that seem to lean this way but I know you can't believe everything you read.

3) The guy wants $3000 for it and it has just over 3k on it.  Fair price?  I cannot find Blue Book values or anything.

4) It seems to run fine, has no leaks etc.  Anything else to check?

5) is this a "good year" for the Enfields?  Some people say no because they are made in India.

6) Will it tend to leave me stranded.

Please no flames.  I really do not know anything about these bikes which is why my questions are so "basic" in nature.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

JR

Re: 2002 Military

P Snidal
At 06:30 PM 8/10/2012, you wrote:
>I have a chance to pick up a 2002 RE Military electric start
>model.  I have had other bikes and do my own maintenance.  I have
>some questions.  I hope to get some answers/opinions.

You did well to find and join this yahoogroup.  Reading over the
archives will find you all the info you need to learn about the
Indian Enfields.  Do bear in mind, though, that the minority with
problems tend to post a lot more than the majority without them - as
with any forum dealing with advice and such.

>1) I plan to use this bike as a scooter.  I know that sounds funny
>but I will not tour on it.  Mostly for just cruising the
>neighborhood or back roads.  Maybe an occasional short trip.  Is
>this a good bike for it?

Looking at it the other way, the use you intend is, imo, very well
adapted indeed to the bike you contemplate.  The majority of problems
they have been known to present revolve around high-speed use.  The
very WORST application would be freeway touring with a sidecar, for
instance.  Just bear in mind the original Bullets were designed in a
time of no freeways or high-speed motorways, in a country full of
picturesque country roads, for a market which paid attention to the
results of trials competition in deciding which bike to buy.  Their
manufacture was "imported" into India around 1955, and hundreds of
thousands were made, bought, and used there until early this century,
very satisfactorily for many many owners.  Importing them from there
into late '90s and early 21st century use in North America and Europe
DID bring about some issues that needed sorting for some owners, as
described above.  I owned and maintained a number of Brit Enfields in
the '50s, and as a result of helping a number of owners on this list
settle their problems with these imports in the '90s and up, ended up
writing a service manual for them.  In this I recommended never
attempting to maintain over 50mph for any length of time at all.
This seemed to be very good advice - lots of problems reported by
many who failed to take this advice to heart; lots of bug-splattered
grins from those who did! 8-)

>2) Do you spend more time maintaining Enfields than riding
>them?  The Internet has some comments that seem to lean this way but
>I know you can't believe everything you read.

They ARE from an era of "real motorcycling," in which maintenance was
a regular part of ownership.  But proper maintenance doesn't require
more wrenching than wriding; I'd expect no more than an hour for
every 10 of riding - including oil changes, staying on top of valve
adjustment and timing, chain adjustments, etc. Maybe 150% of what I'd
expect from any motorcycle prior to the Japanese Invasion and the
advent of the BIC motorcycle - ie, buy it, ride the hell out of it,
chuck it when she blows, repeat to taste...

>3) The guy wants $3000 for it and it has just over 3k on it.  Fair
>price?  I cannot find Blue Book values or anything.

Worth is what you can get for it, especially for Enfields.  Small
market, both for buying and selling.  If you like the bike, that's
about right.  A question I always ask myself:
  What else can I get for the money I'm prepared to spend?

>4) It seems to run fine, has no leaks etc.  Anything else to check?

How much has it been ridden.  Bikes that don't get used don't
generally leak.  The running fine - and especially easy starting -
suggest that it's been well fettled..

>5) is this a "good year" for the Enfields?  Some people say no
>because they are made in India.

About 1% of all Bullets were made in Redditch (England).  Before
1960.  About 80% of all Bullets you'll find offered for sale these
days claimed to be made in England are somebody's dream (or what the
same somebody hopes will be yours!)  The Indian models are not
knock-offs; they're Indian-made replicas for 93.6% of the
parts.  (B*S estimate)
If you've managed to find an early '90s Bullet that looks good and
runs fine, chances are that it will for some time to come.  I
wouldn't feel too badly about hosing him down a few hundred bucks for
it, but then I haven't seen it, and if it were going to make for hard
feelings, I'd pay the price myself.  For those of us who love the
things, they're a priceless piece that, incidentally, isn't made any more...

Good luck with it!
ps www.enfield.20m.com

>6) Will it tend to leave me stranded.
>
>Please no flames.  I really do not know anything about these bikes
>which is why my questions are so "basic" in nature.
>
>Any and all opinions are welcome.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>JR

Re: 2002 Military

P Snidal
I forgot to mention some specifics on the Electric Start.  Boil down to this:
1) Don't use it except in a pinch.
2) Ensure that it's properly tuned so that it'll start easily with
the kicker (1 or 2 kick
      starts are within reason)  ES is for the physically challenged.
(eg can you say
      "plantar fasciitis? (or even spell it?)  Or blown knee/hip?
3) Use the decompressor to shut it off EVERY time - it's normal for
an engine -
      especially a big single - to "kick back" on shut off, and the
sprag clutch in the
      ES system has given lots of trouble when asked to transmit
power in a backwards
      direction.  So it's a)decompressor b)ignition off.  If the
current owner isn't doing
      it this way, get him to buy you a lottery ticket! 8-)

At 06:30 PM 8/10/2012, you wrote:

>I have a chance to pick up a 2002 RE Military electric start
>model.  I have had other bikes and do my own maintenance.  I have
>some questions.  I hope to get some answers/opinions.
>
>1) I plan to use this bike as a scooter.  I know that sounds funny
>but I will not tour on it.  Mostly for just cruising the
>neighborhood or back roads.  Maybe an occasional short trip.  Is
>this a good bike for it?
>
>2) Do you spend more time maintaining Enfields than riding
>them?  The Internet has some comments that seem to lean this way but
>I know you can't believe everything you read.
>
>3) The guy wants $3000 for it and it has just over 3k on it.  Fair
>price?  I cannot find Blue Book values or anything.
>
>4) It seems to run fine, has no leaks etc.  Anything else to check?
>
>5) is this a "good year" for the Enfields?  Some people say no
>because they are made in India.
>
>6) Will it tend to leave me stranded.
>
>Please no flames.  I really do not know anything about these bikes
>which is why my questions are so "basic" in nature.
>
>Any and all opinions are welcome.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>JR

Re: 2002 Military

Marv & Marg
The Iron barrel Enfields require more maintenance than the newer UCE alloy engines. That said, part of the charm of an Enfield is that they do require some easily done maintenance. There is little on the bike you cannot keep up with yourself with a basic set of tools and a good attitude towards doing something that will get your hands dirty. The Enfield ,regardless of year is a fine machine with a reputation for reliability. Those who complain about problems with any bike are usually the ones who cause their own difficulties. Nothing made by humanity lasts forever. Machines break, we fix. The fact that the bike was made in India has zero bearing on whether it is good or bad. I know of blown engines in Milwaukee made bikes with less than 1000 miles on them. I know of India made Enfields with 250,000 miles on them and still going strong. That rant over, the Bullet is a machine more comfortable at 50 to 60 than 70 or 80. I use my 2011 for putts around the "hood and for jaunts out on the country roads near home. I have had it out on the super slab and done 120 miles in a couple of hours but it was not particularly comfortable. The bike was fine, I was not. There was too much traffic and too little margin for error given the limited acceleration capability of the 500 cc single. I love the feel and sound of a well tuned single and the solid "thump" under acceleration takes me back to my childhood and the old British singles of the '50s The price is sort of OK depending on condition.