500cc Stock Piston Weight, Iron Barrel Engine

500cc Stock Piston Weight, Iron Barrel Engine

Zook
Does anyone know what the stock piston from a 500cc iron barrel engine weighs?

Anyone have a used stock piston (that is still in one piece!) they would donate for research or sell cheaply?

TIA

Re: 500cc Stock Piston Weight, Iron Barrel Engine

Tom Lyons
The ones from the 500 Iron Barrel that I have weighed are about 514 grams, including pin.
The pin is about 100 grams.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding some for "research". There are plenty of failed ones around.
Plenty of them in two pieces, too.

Since we have done plenty of research on Bullet pistons during our Bullet piston development program, maybe we can answer some questions for you.

Ace

________________________________
Does anyone know what the stock piston from a 500cc iron barrel engine weighs?

Anyone have a used stock piston (that is still in one piece!) they would donate for research or sell cheaply?

TIA

Re: 500cc Stock Piston Weight, Iron Barrel Engine

Zook
Thanks, Tom! It's a long story but I am in the process of installing my second JE piston. I no longer have the stock piston from my engine.  The mechanic who is helping with the install was asking about the weight of the JE vs the stock piston, and wanted to compare various dimensions between the two.

--- In [hidden email], Tom Lyons <ace.cafe@...> wrote:

> The ones from the 500 Iron Barrel that I have weighed are about 514 grams, including pin.
> The pin is about 100 grams.
>

> I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding some for "research". There are plenty of failed ones around.
> Plenty of them in two pieces, too.
>
> Since we have done plenty of research on Bullet pistons during our Bullet piston development program, maybe we can answer some questions for you.
>
> Ace
>

> ________________________________

If the JE is a std 84mm bore size and a std(6.5:1) compression dome, then it should be fairly close to the stock cast piston in weight. If they did some lightening machine work on the inside, then it might even be lighter than the stock cast piston.
That is possible, but I don't know how much work JE did to it.

Our forged 535(87mm) piston with 9:1 dome is about 396 grams, and the pin is about 68 grams.
But we don't have a std 84mm bore size piston. All of ours are overbore size and higher compression.

________________________________
Thanks, Tom! It's a long story but I am in the process of installing my second JE piston. I no longer have the stock piston from my engine.  The mechanic who is helping with the install was asking about the weight of the JE vs the stock piston, and wanted to compare various dimensions between the two.

--- In [hidden email], Tom Lyons <ace.cafe@...> wrote:

> The ones from the 500 Iron Barrel that I have weighed are about 514 grams, including pin.
> The pin is about 100 grams.
>

> I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding some for "research". There are plenty of failed ones around.
> Plenty of them in two pieces, too.
>
> Since we have done plenty of research on Bullet pistons during our Bullet piston development program, maybe we can answer some questions for you.
>
> Ace
>

> ________________________________

It is the std 84mm/6.5:1 JE piston.  I'll pass along the info, much appreciated.

--- In [hidden email], Tom Lyons <ace.cafe@...> wrote:

> If the JE is a std 84mm bore size and a std(6.5:1) compression dome, then it should be fairly close to the stock cast piston in weight. If they did some lightening machine work on the inside, then it might even be lighter than the stock cast piston.
> That is possible, but I don't know how much work JE did to it.
>
> Our forged 535(87mm) piston with 9:1 dome is about 396 grams, and the pin is about 68 grams.
> But we don't have a std 84mm bore size piston. All of ours are overbore size and higher compression.
>

> ________________________________

victortrry
If you look at one of the Indian Enfield Spares places ie ROYAL SPARES you will find a new piston is not that expensive, they are around the $50 mark plus some post.

--- In [hidden email], "Zook" <motox54d@...> wrote:

> Does anyone know what the stock piston from a 500cc iron barrel engine weighs?
>
> Anyone have a used stock piston (that is still in one piece!) they would donate for research or sell cheaply?
>
> TIA

Re: 500cc Stock Piston Weight, Iron Barrel Engine

Royalenfield
And there is a very good reason why they are cheap!
I still have three of their pistons and they are not fit for purpose.
:-(
I would not touch them if you plan on riding far or at over 70kph/40mph?

Be wary when dealing with Royal Spares for high stressed mechanical parts, most everything they sell is After-market, (3rd rate?) and if you thought that OEM parts were a bit suspect at times with regards to quality, then you definately will not be happy.

Tim
N.Z.