535cc punch out on a AVL motor

tim24k@netzero.net
Hello,I’m buying a 2007 new old stock Bullet Electra with an AVL lean burning motor. I want to punch it out to 535cc now. But my dealer said I should have 4,000 to 5,000 miles on it before I do so. Please give your opinion on this subject. Thank you,Timothy
53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/5031ee42ae0dc6e4204a6st01duc

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor

P Snidal

>Please give your opinion on this subject.

IIWDFI!  (If it works, don't fix it!)
ps www.enfield.20m.com

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor

tim24k@netzero.net
Thanks Pete for your opinion. But I'm hoping to ride this bike coast to coast. So I'll need to make short spurts on the freeway of three to five miles from time to time.

What I was thinking was doing a Hitchcock's stage 3 with a Goldstar pipe. Do you think this would be a reliable bike with it set up like this?

Thanks,
Timothy

Please note: message attached

From: P Snidal <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Enfield] 535cc  punch out on a AVL motor
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:38:39 -0700
Woman is 57 But Looks 27
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/50370080d5ecd8050f5st04duc

>Please give your opinion on this subject.

IIWDFI!  (If it works, don't fix it!)
ps www.enfield.20m.com

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor

fiferwd
Timothy, if you are only doing short spurts of 3 to 5 miles, I would say stay to the right and mooch along at about 60 or less.  Anything more than that, it isn't the 535 that will save you it is having a good crank, bearing, rod, and piston.  I'm no expert, but I have been there and blown one and have rebuilt my Bullet.  It is now a 535 with those upgrades and handles higher cruise speeds well.  My longest rides on the Interstates are about 90 miles going from my farm to the DC area and back (I 70 and I 81).

Yrs,
Bill Deutermann

From: P Snidal <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:38:39 -0700
Woman is 57 But Looks 27
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/50370080d5ecd8050f5st04duc

Attached Message

P Snidal <[hidden email]>

Re: [Enfield] 535cc  punch out on a AVL motor

Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:38:39 -0700

>Please give your opinion on this subject.

IIWDFI!  (If it works, don't fix it!)
ps www.enfield.20m.com

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor

Rick Ferguson
What Bill says.  It's not power that you need (though more is welcome)
so much as well engineered and properly fitted components to withstand
the higher stresses.

Bill, did you fit the high-capacity pumps when you built your motor, and
did you enlarge the oil drainback holes in the timing case?  Have you
had any trouble with overfilling of the timing case?

PS, still thinking about a sortie to Burkes Garden in a few weeks now
that i've got me hip re-bushed

Cheers
Rick F

On 8/24/2012 7:52 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Timothy, if you are only doing short spurts of 3 to 5 miles, I would say
> stay to the right and mooch along at about 60 or less.  Anything more
> than that, it isn't the 535 that will save you it is having a good
> crank, bearing, rod, and piston.  I'm no expert, but I have been there
> and blown one and have rebuilt my Bullet.  It is now a 535 with those
> upgrades and handles higher cruise speeds well.  My longest rides on the
> Interstates are about 90 miles going from my farm to the DC area and
> back (I 70 and I 81).

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor - Reliability again!

P Snidal
At 09:17 PM 8/23/2012, you wrote:
>What I was thinking was doing a Hitchcock's stage 3 with a Goldstar
>pipe. Do you think this would be a reliable bike with it set up like this?

There are a few readers of this group who have been through
this.  Let's wait and see if any of them chime in.  Failing that, you
could search the archives.

And, how about it, AVL owners?  Do you think it makes sense to spend
a lot of extra money on an AVL?  After all, the AVL was introduced by
the factory as an attempt to solve the reliability problems brought
on by using a '40s bike in the 90s.  Personally, I thought they
addressed them rather well - Aluminum barrel, improved piston, gear
pumps, roller bigend - I'd expect a properly-maintained AVL to last a
lot longer than an unimproved cast-iron bullet...

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor

tim24k@netzero.net

Thanks Bill for you comments.
 I do plan on running an 18t or 19t front sprocket to help the rpm down on those rare high speed spurts.

And I chose the AVL motor because of the improved gear driven oil pump.

My trip will be around some 10,000 miles by the time I get home so I want to keep it reliable as can be.
Please note: message attached

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:52:52 -0400 (EDT)

Woman is 57 But Looks 27
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/5037b3311eb7933307d44st04duc

From: P Snidal <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:38:39 -0700
Woman is 57 But Looks 27
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/50370080d5ecd8050f5st04duc

Attached Message

P Snidal <[hidden email]>

Re: [Enfield] 535cc  punch out on a AVL motor

Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:38:39 -0700

>Please give your opinion on this subject.

IIWDFI!  (If it works, don't fix it!)
ps www.enfield.20m.com

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor - Reliability again!

Bob Scogin
On 8/24/2012 10:41 AM, P Snidal wrote:

> And, how about it, AVL owners? Do you think it makes sense to spend
> a lot of extra money on an AVL?

Makes sense to me. Aside from a few electrical wiring quirks,  my AVL
has been a great motorcycle.

Bob

Bob Scogin

Burke's Garden

fiferwd

 Hi Rick,

I've been away a lot this spring and summer -- was not aware of your hip problem. Glad to hear that it is sorted out!

I still have a desire to see Burke's, I am going to be tied up for the rest of this month and into the first two weeks of September, but depending on time and tide would really like to go on that excursion.  I keep missing them.  Also, I just acquired a 1913 Parker Bros. 16 gauge double that seems not to know how to miss clays, and ruffed grouse have been sneaking around our hedges.  They will definitely need attention when the season opens.

I blush to admit that I do not recall which pumps I put in, but they were more than likely the high capacity duo that the boys in Minnesota sell.  I had added them sometime around 2006, and kept the stock ones.  At one point, I put the stock back in as I was having breather problems and the high cap pumps were, I think, adding to the problem.  I did not do any alterations on the drain back holes other than to egg them out a bit because of a miss match.  During the rebuild I noticed that one of the holes was 50% occluded because of the miss match between the timing cover hole and the pump.  I suppose it was a manufacturing defect.  The funnel effect seems to have helped.

Re: 535cc punch out on a AVL motor

Royalenfield
The AVL has the 18t gearbox sprocket std.
When you see how thin the AVL barrel liner becomes after being bored to 87mm, you may have second thoughts about it...
The liner thickness become thinner than what is considered acceptable for an Air cooled motor.
Post 2006 RE increased the deck height of the AVL crankcases to reduce compression, in a forlorn attempt of curing the over-advanced ignition issues that trouble some of the bikes.
The best thing that any AVL owner can do is to fit a 'Timing' plug into the primary cover so that you can actually strobe the motor and verify how much the ignition timing is out...
(Many of them are not correct)

Tim
N.Z.

--- In [hidden email], "tim24k@..." <tim24k@...> wrote:

> Thanks Bill for you comments.
>  I do plan on running an 18t or 19t front sprocket to help the rpm down on those rare high speed spurts.
>
> And I chose the AVL motor because of the improved gear driven oil pump.
>
> My trip will be around some 10,000 miles by the time I get home so I want to keep it reliable as can be.
> Please note: message attached
>
> From: fiferwd@...
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enfield] 535cc  punch out on a AVL motor
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:52:52 -0400 (EDT)

> Woman is 57 But Looks 27
> Mom publishes simple facelift trick that angered doctors...
> http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/5037b3311eb7933307d44st04duc
> Timothy, if you are only doing short spurts of 3 to 5 miles, I would say stay to the right and mooch along at about 60 or less.  Anything more than that, it isn't the 535 that will save you it is having a good crank, bearing, rod, and piston.  I'm no expert, but I have been there and blown one and have rebuilt my Bullet.  It is now a 535 with those upgrades and handles higher cruise speeds well.  My longest rides on the Interstates are about 90 miles going from my farm to the DC area and back (I 70 and I 81).
>
> Yrs,
> Bill Deutermann

Alan Bartlett
I run all the above with mine and use a 20t front plus the ignition unit
from Hitchcock's, will sit on 110 KPH happily for hours.

Alan