Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

12

Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Al-101

 Just to let you all know that I haven't absented myself from the group and do continue to read the postings

I've been quite busy with my other love, bicycles  ---- having about a dozen. In fact, several months ago I posted on this group's site a link the Yahoo Group for those interested in cycles with internally geared hubs. And sure enough, one of the pack of jackals, this one an islander, followed me over to that group and again began to hurl at me derisive and schmuck-like remarks!

Here's that group again for those of us who delight in planetary gears.

   Al in Philadelphia

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

P Snidal
At 11:18 AM 11/10/2012, you wrote:
>And sure enough, one of the pack of jackals, this one an islander,
>followed me over to that group and again began to hurl at me
>derisive and schmuck-like remarks!

My, my!  Think of that!  Do you think there must be some sort of
conspiracy afoot?  Or could it be that you're just not a very nice person? 8-)
BTW, the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed has ALWAYS been my favourite bicycle
power train!  Still have a bike with one, that I'm looking for a good
home (ie, someone who will restore the bike and appreciate it.  Been
meaning to have a chat with the local bike shop...)
Good luck with the jackals!  Maybe Emily Post could help...
ps

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

umrcc
I must have a look - haven't played with bicycles since I were a lad, but this morning I purchased a fairly beat-up 1957 ladies Raleigh bicycle with Sturmey Archer 3-speed for my 13 year old daughter. She's grown out of her newer bike and is suddenly into an "I like retro" phase...more work for me...

Martin

--- In [hidden email], Al <k3eax@...> wrote:

>  Just to let you all know that I haven't absented myself from the group and do continue to read the postings
>
> I've been quite busy with my other love, bicycles  ---- having about a dozen. In fact, several months ago I posted on this group's site a link the Yahoo Group for those interested in cycles with internally geared hubs. And sure enough, one of the pack of jackals, this one an islander, followed me over to that group and again began to hurl at me derisive and schmuck-like remarks!
>
> Here's that group again for those of us who delight in planetary gears.

>    Al in Philadelphia

Re: Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Al-101
  Good luck with your new project, Martin! There is something very special about Raleigh 3-speed roadsters. I suppose it's similar to the charm exuded by the Enfields.

  By the way, check the identifying description engraved into the hub.  Hopefully it will read AW and not SW. The SW 3-speed hub was introduced in 1956 and proved to be so very trouble-prone that it  remained in production for but a year or two. The problem seemed to be drive-pawls that just couldn't stand up to everyday use.

    Al

________________________________

--- In mailto:royalenfield%40yahoogroups.com, Al <k3eax@...> wrote:

>  Just to let you all know that I haven't absented myself from the group and do continue to read the postings
>
> I've been quite busy with my other love, bicycles  ---- having about a dozen. In fact, several months ago I posted on this group's site a link the Yahoo Group for those interested in cycles with internally geared hubs. And sure enough, one of the pack of jackals, this one an islander, followed me over to that group and again began to hurl at me derisive and schmuck-like remarks!
>
> Here's that group again for those of us who delight in planetary gears.

>    Al in Philadelphia

Re: Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Al-101
Martin, here's the Sturmey Archer SW story--- a sad tale.

    Al

http://sheldonbrown.com/sw.html
        .

Off topic - Sturmey Archer Hubs

umrcc
Thanks Al,

I've just been down the garden in the dark to have a look at the old Raleigh. Guess what - it's an SW hub! I don't think I've ever looked at a SA hub close up before, although I had a mate who spent most of his early life dismantling them.

Judging by the wear on the wheel rims from the brake blocks, the worn pedal rubbers and paintwork - and its 55 years - the bike has done a heck of a mileage. I'm not sure if that is an indication that the gears have been sorted, or that they must be completely buggered! On the up-side, it changed quite gear nicely on a short run, and it has a certain rustic charm that might make it worth the effort. It seems I could be very busy this winter - I'll start reading the Sturmey Archer SW documents right now...

Martin

--- In [hidden email], Al <k3eax@...> wrote:

>   Good luck with your new project, Martin! There is something very special about Raleigh 3-speed roadsters. I suppose it's similar to the charm exuded by the Enfields.
>
>   By the way, check the identifying description engraved into the hub.  Hopefully it will read AW and not SW. The SW 3-speed hub was introduced in 1956 and proved to be so very trouble-prone that it  remained in production for but a year or two. The problem seemed to be drive-pawls that just couldn't stand up to everyday use.
>
>     Al
>

> ________________________________

Re: Off topic - Sturmey Archer Hubs

Al-101
  Martin, hope fully the SW will  still have a bit of life remaining. If not and since replacement parts maybe non-existent, an eventual repair strategy would be to obtain a complete AW equipped rear wheel at a jumble sale.

  Also, it quite possible that a collector would be interested in the hub. I have no idea of its value on the Sturmey collectables market  -----yes, there is such a market.

   Good luck,

        Al

________________________________
I've just been down the garden in the dark to have a look at the old Raleigh. Guess what - it's an SW hub! I don't think I've ever looked at a SA hub close up before, although I had a mate who spent most of his early life dismantling them.

Judging by the wear on the wheel rims from the brake blocks, the worn pedal rubbers and paintwork - and its 55 years - the bike has done a heck of a mileage. I'm not sure if that is an indication that the gears have been sorted, or that they must be completely buggered! On the up-side, it changed quite gear nicely on a short run, and it has a certain rustic charm that might make it worth the effort. It seems I could be very busy this winter - I'll start reading the Sturmey Archer SW documents right now...

Martin

--- In mailto:royalenfield%40yahoogroups.com, Al <k3eax@...> wrote:

>   Good luck with your new project, Martin! There is something very special about Raleigh 3-speed roadsters. I suppose it's similar to the charm exuded by the Enfields.
>
>   By the way, check the identifying description engraved into the hub.  Hopefully it will read AW and not SW. The SW 3-speed hub was introduced in 1956 and proved to be so very trouble-prone that it  remained in production for but a year or two. The problem seemed to be drive-pawls that just couldn't stand up to everyday use.
>
>     Al
>

> ________________________________

At an old bike show here in BC a number of years ago, the star of the
show was a 1913 (I think) BSA single that had no gearbox - at least
not in the usual spot, but had a considerably larger Sturmey-Archer
3-speed hub in the rear wheel!  Had the SA trademark etched on and
everything, very familiar to any Raleigh bicycle fan.  I think the
engine was a 500 flathead.
ps

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

tim24k@netzero.net
Hello Al,
I to have a great love of bicycles. I own 30. I commute 20 miles a day to work on one. At 55 years old it keeps my mind and body in shape.

Please note: message attached

From: Al <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Enfield] Al in Philadelphia,  Still Around,
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:18:36 -0800 (PST)

Penny Stock Ready to Soar
Small Stock Set to Skyrocket Over 1,000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/50a0bb7bd30063b7b1583st04duc

   Al in Philadelphia

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Al-101
  Yo Pete, wasn't it your foul nature and obnoxious behavior that caused a mass exodus from this group? And aren't you the guy, only in order to trumpet his book, who replies to assistance seekers? Petie boy you'd be best to shut your yap.

    Al

At 03:09 AM 11/12/2012, you wrote:
>Yo Pete, wasn't it your foul nature and obnoxious behavior that
>caused a mass exodus from this group? And aren't you the guy, only
>in order to trumpet his book, who replies to assistance seekers?
>Petie boy you'd be best to shut your yap.

What I said!....

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Royalenfield
Ditto.
:-)

Never try and argue with an idiot, the uninformed may not be able to tell the difference.

Tim
N.Z.

--- In [hidden email], P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote:

> What I said!....

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Al-101
Well Tim, I was waiting for you to snipe. Now back in your hole!

    Al

________________________________

--- In mailto:royalenfield%40yahoogroups.com, P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote:

> What I said!....

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Charles Warner
Can anybody tell me a way to block only certain "contributors" to this group without blocking the whole group? I suppose the smart thing to do would be to just watch for the sender's email address and just hit delete, but I never do... Kinda like slowing down to observe a wreck - morbid curiosity!

Chuck in Arizona

BTW, went for a 60+ mile off-road ride today with an old high-school buddy - not on Enfields. Beautiful day for a ride!

Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/
Visit The Patriot Shop
http://PatriotShop.US/

________________________________
Yo Pete, wasn't it your foul nature and obnoxious behavior that caused a mass exodus from this group? And aren't you the guy, only in order to trumpet his book, who replies to assistance seekers? Petie boy you'd be best to shut your yap.

Al

--- In [hidden email], P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote:

> At 11:18 AM 11/10/2012, you wrote:
> >And sure enough, one of the pack of jackals, this one an islander,
> >followed me over to that group and again began to hurl at me
> >derisive and schmuck-like remarks!
>
> My, my!  Think of that!  Do you think there must be some sort of
> conspiracy afoot?  Or could it be that you're just not a very nice person? 8-)
> BTW, the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed has ALWAYS been my favourite bicycle
> power train!  Still have a bike with one, that I'm looking for a good
> home (ie, someone who will restore the bike and appreciate it.  Been
> meaning to have a chat with the local bike shop...)
> Good luck with the jackals!  Maybe Emily Post could help...
> ps

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Al-101
Hey Chuck, it looks like you're applying for membership in the jackal's pack.  Speaking about contributors, you've never really contributed much save for  the very infrequent  non-technical comments. Perhaps you should do more reaching out to help those in need of advice? Now here's a word that I feel suits you Charles, Pete, and Tim-in- New Zealand who all join in when a group member is attacked, that word describing the three of you is SCHMUCK.

    Al

________________________________

Yo Pete, wasn't it your foul nature and obnoxious behavior that caused a mass exodus from this group? And aren't you the guy, only in order to trumpet his book, who replies to assistance seekers? Petie boy you'd be best to shut your yap.  Al  --- In mailto:royalenfield%40yahoogroups.com, P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote: > > At 11:18 AM 11/10/2012, you wrote: > >And sure enough, one of the pack of jackals, this one an islander,  > >followed me over to that group and again began to hurl at me  > >derisive and schmuck-like remarks! >  > My, my!  Think of that!  Do you think there must be some sort of  > conspiracy afoot?  Or could it be that you're just not a very nice person? 8-) > BTW, the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed has ALWAYS been my favourite bicycle  > power train!  Still have a bike with one, that I'm looking for a good  > home (ie, someone who will restore the bike and appreciate it.  Been  > meaning to have a chat with the local bike shop...) > Good luck
 with the jackals!  Maybe Emily Post could help... > ps >

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

fiferwd
And the silence was broken....

Well Tim, I was waiting for you to snipe. Now back in your hole!

    Al

Never try and argue with an idiot, the uninformed may not be able to tell the difference.

Tim
N.Z.

--- In mailto:royalenfield%40yahoogroups.com, P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote:

> What I said!....

Re: My Best Buddy Al in Philadelphia,

Royalenfield

 SCHMUCK.

Why, thank you Al. :-)
That is possibly the nicest thing you have ever called me.
I hadn't realised you cared!
;-)

Tim
N.Z.

New Poll?

Royalenfield
We could always have a Poll?
;-)

Tim
N.Z.

> Can anybody tell me a way to block only certain "contributors"

Re: Al in Philadelphia, Still Around,

Charles Warner
What an honor to be considered in the same breath as Pete and Tim!

BTW, one of the coolest bikes I've ridden was my mother's Raleigh 3-speed. We called it an "English Racer." I have no idea what hub it had, but I was totally enamored with all the rods and pivots for the brakes!

Chuck in Arizona (all I have now are derailers)

Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/
Visit The Patriot Shop
http://PatriotShop.US/

________________________________
Hey Chuck, it looks like you're applying for membership in the jackal's pack.  Speaking about contributors, you've never really contributed much save for  the very infrequent  non-technical comments. Perhaps you should do more reaching out to help those in need of advice? Now here's a word that I feel suits you Charles, Pete, and Tim-in- New Zealand who all join in when a group member is attacked, that word describing the three of you is SCHMUCK.

    Al

Yo Pete, wasn't it your foul nature and obnoxious behavior that caused a mass exodus from this group? And aren't you the guy, only in order to trumpet his book, who replies to assistance seekers? Petie boy you'd be best to shut your yap.  Al  --- In mailto:royalenfield%40yahoogroups.com, P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote:

> At 11:18 AM 11/10/2012, you wrote:
> >And sure enough, one of the pack of jackals, this one an islander,
> >followed me over to that group and again began to hurl at me
> >derisive and schmuck-like remarks!
>
> My, my!  Think of that!  Do you think there must be some sort of
> conspiracy afoot?  Or could it be that you're just not a very nice person? 8-)
> BTW, the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed has ALWAYS been my favourite bicycle
> power train!  Still have a bike with one, that I'm looking for a good
> home (ie, someone who will restore the bike and appreciate it.  Been
> meaning to have a chat with the local bike shop...)
> Good luck with the jackals!  Maybe Emily Post could help...
> ps

Re: My Best Buddy Al in Philadelphia,

Charles Warner
World English Dictionary
schmuck  (ʃmʌk)
— n
 slang  ( US ) a stupid or contemptible person; oaf
[from Yiddish schmuck  penis, from German Schmuck  decoration, from Middle High German smucken  to press into]