Quantcast

Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

Sali Rostami
 After a nearly trouble free 20k miles I'm experiencing a difficulty. The problem is in the gear box which will not up-shift properly from 1st as it passes right through to 2nd. and stops at 3rd. or 4th. Down shifting is possible but only into 1st.

 I've checked the external linkage and found no problems.

 I can use the neutral finder to go through the gears and so I'm hoping the problem goes no deeper than the outer gear box cover.

 If you have solved a similar problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. And, any reference to pertinent previous messages responding to similar problems/solutions would be helpful.

 I do have Pete's manual but have yet to review the gear box section.

  Al, shiftless in Philadelphia

Re: Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

t120rbullet
It sounds like your gear operator selector is worn out.
Easy fix.
CJ

--- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@...> wrote:

>  After a nearly trouble free 20k miles I'm experiencing a difficulty. The problem is in the gear box which will not up-shift properly from 1st as it passes right through to 2nd. and stops at 3rd. or 4th. Down shifting is possible but only into 1st.
>
>  I've checked the external linkage and found no problems.
>
>  I can use the neutral finder to go through the gears and so I'm hoping the problem goes no deeper than the outer gear box cover.
>
>  If you have solved a similar problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. And, any reference to pertinent previous messages responding to similar problems/solutions would be helpful.
>
>  I do have Pete's manual but have yet to review the gear box section.
>

>   Al, shiftless in Philadelphia

Re: Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

Sali Rostami
 Below is my original posting. Only one member reached out to give me some advice, Chris James.

 I used part of this Sunday's pleasant afternoon to remove the outer gearbox cover and perform an inspection. I found a broken hairpin spring in the ratchet assembly. I suspect that this was the cause of the problem and not consequence. I'll let you all know when a replacement arrives and I re-assemble the ratchet and take The Lady Clatterly for a test run.

 Al, as yet still shiftless in Philadelphia

--- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@...> wrote:

>  After a nearly trouble free 20k miles I'm experiencing a difficulty. The problem is in the gear box which will not up-shift properly from 1st as it passes right through to 2nd. and stops at 3rd. or 4th. Down shifting is possible but only into 1st.
>
>  I've checked the external linkage and found no problems.
>
>  I can use the neutral finder to go through the gears and so I'm hoping the problem goes no deeper than the outer gear box cover.
>
>  If you have solved a similar problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. And, any reference to pertinent previous messages responding to similar problems/solutions would be helpful.
>
>  I do have Pete's manual but have yet to review the gear box section.
>

>   Al, shiftless in Philadelphia

Re: Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

shinerxl
So what if "only one member reached out to give you advice" ?  You got advice didn't you?  It was free was'nt it?
Please don't take a swipe at the rest of us because we didn't actually have the information you needed.
Mark Shiner, Orkney.

--- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@...> wrote:

>  Below is my original posting. Only one member reached out to give me some advice, Chris James.
>
>  I used part of this Sunday's pleasant afternoon to remove the outer gearbox cover and perform an inspection. I found a broken hairpin spring in the ratchet assembly. I suspect that this was the cause of the problem and not consequence. I'll let you all know when a replacement arrives and I re-assemble the ratchet and take The Lady Clatterly for a test run.
>
>  Al, as yet still shiftless in Philadelphia
>

> --- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@> wrote:
> >
> >  After a nearly trouble free 20k miles I'm experiencing a difficulty. The problem is in the gear box which will not up-shift properly from 1st as it passes right through to 2nd. and stops at 3rd. or 4th. Down shifting is possible but only into 1st.
> >
> >  I've checked the external linkage and found no problems.
> >
> >  I can use the neutral finder to go through the gears and so I'm hoping the problem goes no deeper than the outer gear box cover.
> >
> >  If you have solved a similar problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. And, any reference to pertinent previous messages responding to similar problems/solutions would be helpful.
> >
> >  I do have Pete's manual but have yet to review the gear box section.
> >

> >   Al, shiftless in Philadelphia

Re: Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

Sali Rostami
  Nay nay, not a swipe but admittedly a disappointment. Chris shared his experience with his Albion problems and while mine turned out to be different from his, I was grateful for his effort.

  There certainly must be others who have had shifting problems who did not respond. Perhaps another member had a problem caused by an identical failure as it's quite possible that the hairpin spring failure is a "pattern failure".

  The broken spring was not obvious without a dis-assembly; during that process it fell from the box. A "heads-up" from a member who had worked through the identical problem would have been helpful.

   Al, outspoken in Philadelphia

--- In [hidden email], "Shiner" <harpmaker@...> wrote:

> So what if "only one member reached out to give you advice" ?  You got advice didn't you?  It was free was'nt it?
> Please don't take a swipe at the rest of us because we didn't actually have the information you needed.
> Mark Shiner, Orkney.
>
> --- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@> wrote:
> >
> >  Below is my original posting. Only one member reached out to give me some advice, Chris James.
> >
> >  I used part of this Sunday's pleasant afternoon to remove the outer gearbox cover and perform an inspection. I found a broken hairpin spring in the ratchet assembly. I suspect that this was the cause of the problem and not consequence. I'll let you all know when a replacement arrives and I re-assemble the ratchet and take The Lady Clatterly for a test run.
> >
> >  Al, as yet still shiftless in Philadelphia
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@> wrote:
> > >
> > >  After a nearly trouble free 20k miles I'm experiencing a difficulty. The problem is in the gear box which will not up-shift properly from 1st as it passes right through to 2nd. and stops at 3rd. or 4th. Down shifting is possible but only into 1st.
> > >
> > >  I've checked the external linkage and found no problems.
> > >
> > >  I can use the neutral finder to go through the gears and so I'm hoping the problem goes no deeper than the outer gear box cover.
> > >
> > >  If you have solved a similar problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. And, any reference to pertinent previous messages responding to similar problems/solutions would be helpful.
> > >
> > >  I do have Pete's manual but have yet to review the gear box section.
> > >

> > >   Al, shiftless in Philadelphia

Re: Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

shinerxl
It's OK, I get ignored all the time.  Probably because its the weekend.  Responses from the rest of the forum seem to be oddly "seasonal". All or nothing.  I tend to think that the Albion gearbox is the single most boring component on the entire machine for some reason.  Even the casting is uninspiring, unlike those lovely egg-shaped BSA items.
I didn't mean to snap at you.  I tend to just be thankful for what I can get. ;-)
Shiner, Orkney.

--- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@...> wrote:

>   Nay nay, not a swipe but admittedly a disappointment. Chris shared his experience with his Albion problems and while mine turned out to be different from his, I was grateful for his effort.
>
>   There certainly must be others who have had shifting problems who did not respond. Perhaps another member had a problem caused by an identical failure as it's quite possible that the hairpin spring failure is a "pattern failure".
>
>   The broken spring was not obvious without a dis-assembly; during that process it fell from the box. A "heads-up" from a member who had worked through the identical problem would have been helpful.
>
>    Al, outspoken in Philadelphia
>

> --- In [hidden email], "Shiner" <harpmaker@> wrote:
> >
> > So what if "only one member reached out to give you advice" ?  You got advice didn't you?  It was free was'nt it?
> > Please don't take a swipe at the rest of us because we didn't actually have the information you needed.
> > Mark Shiner, Orkney.
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Below is my original posting. Only one member reached out to give me some advice, Chris James.
> > >
> > >  I used part of this Sunday's pleasant afternoon to remove the outer gearbox cover and perform an inspection. I found a broken hairpin spring in the ratchet assembly. I suspect that this was the cause of the problem and not consequence. I'll let you all know when a replacement arrives and I re-assemble the ratchet and take The Lady Clatterly for a test run.
> > >
> > >  Al, as yet still shiftless in Philadelphia

Re: Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

Royalenfield
What happens if you 'hand' shift via the neutral finder lever?
Over selecting is symptomatic of broken springs.

Tim
N.Z.

--- In [hidden email], "k3eax" <k3eax@...> wrote:

>  After a nearly trouble free 20k miles I'm experiencing a difficulty. The problem is in the gear box which will not up-shift properly from 1st as it passes right through to 2nd. and stops at 3rd. or 4th. Down shifting is possible but only into 1st.
>
>  I've checked the external linkage and found no problems.
>
>  I can use the neutral finder to go through the gears and so I'm hoping the problem goes no deeper than the outer gear box cover.
>
>  If you have solved a similar problem, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. And, any reference to pertinent previous messages responding to similar problems/solutions would be helpful.
>
>  I do have Pete's manual but have yet to review the gear box section.
>

>   Al, shiftless in Philadelphia

Re: Re: Albion gearbox problem; Advice appreciated

Sali Rostami
 Tim, that's good diagnostic advice that readers of your reply should keep in mind should they also encounter a shifting problem  --- thanks. Your reply helps to put to rest a concern that the spring was a result of a problem rather than the cause. I'm now assured that it is the cause.

  Yes, shifting with the nuetral finder does cause the box to jump from 4th down to 2nd while passing through 3rd non-stop. Up-shifting from 2nd to third is not possible.

The spring is on order and I hope to have The Lady Clatterly back on the road in a few days.

  Thanks again,

  Al