Alternator output

Rick Ferguson
Does anyone here know the output of the alternator on 2001 era electric
start 500s?  Mine has not had a problem keeping the battery topped up,
but I am wondering if I could use an electric vest without a problem

Cheers
Rick F

Re: Alternator output

Bunty Golightly

Haven't a clue old chap , however a heated debate with me mechanic Grubby Dipstick concluded with the words - '' tell him to stick a ruddy voltmeter on the bike and see what happens to battery voltage when he plugs in his  vest and goes for a ride '' - mmn indeed .
I think that the wretched rustic artisan might be on to something - what d'yer say ?

'Corse you could buy a low wattage vest 60 watts or less might well be sufficient to sustain life , and a low draw vest might also assist the meagre electrons .

My late wife swore by woolen underwear , damned prickly stuff and a deterrant to unauthorised entry if ever there was one - by gad .
I find Harris Tweed very effective [ and a large scotch at regular intervals ] at keeping out the cold . Plus I perch me butler Ballsack on the tank as a windbreak , better than any fairing - haaar haaaaaar haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar !!

Winter draws on - eh what .
Your servant
Maj Bunty Golightly MBH , Defender of the Kickstart , Companion of the Royal Floatchamber .

--- In [hidden email], Rick F <twotyred@...> wrote:

> Does anyone here know the output of the alternator on 2001 era electric
> start 500s?  Mine has not had a problem keeping the battery topped up,
> but I am wondering if I could use an electric vest without a problem
>
> Cheers
> Rick F

Re: Alternator output

Royalenfield
At best the ES alternators are 'supposed' to put out 110w, but in general they seem to be under 100w? But even then, that output is split AC - DC 66/33.
It depends on how well the actual stator coils are wound and the age and condition of the rotor; they loose magnetism over time.
Bottom line is that there is no spare power with the lights on...
You could fit a (Lucas) 3 phase stator (180w) and upgrade the rec/reg to cope.
Or if you know a good sparky, you could save a few $$$ and convert your existing stator to 3 phase.
(Star wound v's Delta)

Tim
N.Z.