An easy way to reassemble piston and barrel

An easy way to reassemble piston and barrel

ManojTrivandrum
Hi folks,  I really struggled to fit my rebored cylinder back on to the
piston of my 1996 bullet.  I kept squeezing the rings as tightly as I could
but the cylinder just wouldn't slide on and I was getting really fatigued
and shaky trying to hold up that heavy barrel.  I was really worried that i
would snap a ring.

In frustration i plucked out the piston from the connecting rod and set the
barrel on my desk, then partially inserted the piston into the barrel on
the desk.  Makes a huge difference when the barrel is lying on the desk and
you're just squeezing the rings one by one and inserting the piston into
the barrel.  I didn't push the piston all the way in, but just till the
rings got inside the barrel, leaving the wrist pin section still hanging
out.  Then I placed the barrel and piston as one unit back on the
connecting rod -- the barrel stayed propped up neatly while i reinserted
the wrist pin and the clips.  I hope this is helpful for a newbie getting
scared that another person's assistance will be needed to get that
hideously heavy barrel onto the piston!

Regards,
Manoj,
Trivandrum, India.

Re: An easy way to reassemble piston and barrel

Bullet-3
Yes Manoj, this is an easier way to do the fitting and even if the piston slide up it can be pushed back down.  A ring compressor tool is good also.

Having the piston fitted to the connecting rod is a 2 person operation or when the piston and rings are older and say the bottom gaskets have to be replaced.

Chris

--- In [hidden email], Manoj Gnanaiah <gmanoj777@...> wrote:

> Hi folks,  I really struggled to fit my rebored cylinder back on to the
> piston of my 1996 bullet.  I kept squeezing the rings as tightly as I could
> but the cylinder just wouldn't slide on and I was getting really fatigued
> and shaky trying to hold up that heavy barrel.  I was really worried that i
> would snap a ring.
>
> In frustration i plucked out the piston from the connecting rod and set the
> barrel on my desk, then partially inserted the piston into the barrel on
> the desk.  Makes a huge difference when the barrel is lying on the desk and
> you're just squeezing the rings one by one and inserting the piston into
> the barrel.  I didn't push the piston all the way in, but just till the
> rings got inside the barrel, leaving the wrist pin section still hanging
> out.  Then I placed the barrel and piston as one unit back on the
> connecting rod -- the barrel stayed propped up neatly while i reinserted
> the wrist pin and the clips.  I hope this is helpful for a newbie getting
> scared that another person's assistance will be needed to get that
> hideously heavy barrel onto the piston!
>
> Regards,
> Manoj,
> Trivandrum, India.

Re: An easy way to reassemble piston and barrel

victortrry
A few years ago I bought some rings for my 1972 Enfield India 350, took the old rings off, slipped the new rings on then with great difficulty and a hose clamp around the piston managed to get the piston into the bore but couldn't move the barrell down.  I pulled the barrell off with great difficulty again.  What the problem was the radius of the rings didn;t suit the piston that was in it.
I bought a new piston and rings from India and the story ends well.

--- In [hidden email], "Bullet" <chris.bulletwallas@...> wrote:

> Yes Manoj, this is an easier way to do the fitting and even if the piston slide up it can be pushed back down.  A ring compressor tool is good also.
>
> Having the piston fitted to the connecting rod is a 2 person operation or when the piston and rings are older and say the bottom gaskets have to be replaced.
>
> Chris
>
> --- In [hidden email], Manoj Gnanaiah <gmanoj777@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,  I really struggled to fit my rebored cylinder back on to the
> > piston of my 1996 bullet.  I kept squeezing the rings as tightly as I could
> > but the cylinder just wouldn't slide on and I was getting really fatigued
> > and shaky trying to hold up that heavy barrel.  I was really worried that i
> > would snap a ring.
> >
> > In frustration i plucked out the piston from the connecting rod and set the
> > barrel on my desk, then partially inserted the piston into the barrel on
> > the desk.  Makes a huge difference when the barrel is lying on the desk and
> > you're just squeezing the rings one by one and inserting the piston into
> > the barrel.  I didn't push the piston all the way in, but just till the
> > rings got inside the barrel, leaving the wrist pin section still hanging
> > out.  Then I placed the barrel and piston as one unit back on the
> > connecting rod -- the barrel stayed propped up neatly while i reinserted
> > the wrist pin and the clips.  I hope this is helpful for a newbie getting
> > scared that another person's assistance will be needed to get that
> > hideously heavy barrel onto the piston!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Manoj,
> > Trivandrum, India.

Re: Re: An easy way to reassemble piston and barrel

John Halford
put the pistons into their bore's, then all you have to do is connect the small end's, i just did this on my 6T