Burkes Garden this weekend?

Rick Ferguson
No takers? What's it going to take to get some of you buggers out to a
lovely, remote part of the country on a gorgeous fall weekend?  This is
what I have a Bullet for.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Big%20Walker%20Mtn/Bir_Walker02.gif?t=1242047825

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Round%20Mountain%20Rd/6909RMrd2.jpg?t=1252337290

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Where%20I%20want%20to%20be/BurkesGarden07.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Where%20I%20want%20to%20be/BurkesGarden01.jpg

I've been in there on days when I did not see a single car on the road.
  I'm still planning to head out Friday afternoon, anyone interested in
joining me, shoot me an email and we'll work out a rendezvous.

Cheers
Rick F

Re: Burkes Garden this weekend?

Zook
Rick,

I'd love to take you up on this offer; this trip has been on my "to do" list since you started posting pictures of the area years ago.  However this weekend is the Barber Vintage Festival in Birmingham, AL and I'm already committed to a swap meet space!

One of these days........

Have fun!

Dave

--- In [hidden email], Rick F <twotyred@...> wrote:

> No takers? What's it going to take to get some of you buggers out to a
> lovely, remote part of the country on a gorgeous fall weekend?  This is
> what I have a Bullet for.
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Big%20Walker%20Mtn/Bir_Walker02.gif?t=1242047825
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Round%20Mountain%20Rd/6909RMrd2.jpg?t=1252337290
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Where%20I%20want%20to%20be/BurkesGarden07.jpg
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Where%20I%20want%20to%20be/BurkesGarden01.jpg
>
> I've been in there on days when I did not see a single car on the road.
>   I'm still planning to head out Friday afternoon, anyone interested in
> joining me, shoot me an email and we'll work out a rendezvous.
>
> Cheers
> Rick F

Re: Burkes Garden this weekend?

fiferwd
Just returned from a somewhat disastrous trip to Virginia Beach and Williamsburg.  On brand new tires, armed with a promising weather report, I left on Friday and spent the evening with my sister and her boyfriend (elderlymanfriend?) and my niece.  Dinner at the Ice House - a 'small' ten ounce prime rib - then a nice evening of conversation.  Up in the morning and off to Wmsburg, where I played fife for the 1st Maryland Regiment, hid the bike in an infantry tent to keep it out of the rain that was supposed to end Sunday night, then stayed over with a friend and his wife planning to depart in Monday's sunshine. Which it was not. Stayed over until Tuesday, left in rain as far as Tapahannoc  or however it is spelled, and made it home wet and tired at 3 PM to find that the woman who rents the other side of the bedroom want to go to Fort Niagara and adjoining points leaving tomorrow at 1 PM.  Looks like I am going to miss it again!  Honest rick, I really want to do this.
Yrs,
Bill D

Re: Burkes Garden this weekend?

Marv & Marg
I see there is a little bit of pebbly stuff in some of the photos. This is commonly referred to as GRAVEL!!!! Most so called motorcycle riders of my acquaintance will ride for hours to avoid even the mention of this hideous substance. What they do not realize is that most motorcycles of the British persuasion are just flat made for this stuff. I went for a 200 Km. ride today with about 30 km on sandy compacted dirt and gravel roads. There were no other motorcycles to be seen until we got back on the pavement. The majority of riders have never experienced the joy of putting down narrow dirt roads with all the fall colours in full display.

--- In [hidden email], Rick F <twotyred@...> wrote:

> No takers? What's it going to take to get some of you buggers out to a
> lovely, remote part of the country on a gorgeous fall weekend?  This is
> what I have a Bullet for.
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Big%20Walker%20Mtn/Bir_Walker02.gif?t=1242047825
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Round%20Mountain%20Rd/6909RMrd2.jpg?t=1252337290
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Where%20I%20want%20to%20be/BurkesGarden07.jpg
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/twotyred/Where%20I%20want%20to%20be/BurkesGarden01.jpg
>
> I've been in there on days when I did not see a single car on the road.
>   I'm still planning to head out Friday afternoon, anyone interested in
> joining me, shoot me an email and we'll work out a rendezvous.
>
> Cheers
> Rick F

Re: Burkes Garden this weekend?

victortrry

Rick.
I don't mind a ride on dirt roads but I live in Sydney Australia and to get to some gravel roads one has to ride for at least 2 hours to get out of the city.
Many years ago I lived in Mt Hagen in New Guinea, there would not have been more than 3 miles or tar roads in the whole of the western highlands.
If you wanted to ride anywhere it was gravel, in the late 60's it was Triumph, BSA and Matchless.

Victor