Clutch chatter noise

Tom-413
My 1999 bullet has some clutch chatter and noise.  I opened it up and found the inner dished plate installed the wrong way.  It apparently dislodged the clutch fiction disk, the one attached with rivets to the clutch basket.  The friction disk (labled part 4 on the clutch diagram in the Snidal manual) now moves back and forth and has separated from the rivets.

How does one go about renewing the clutch friction disc on the clutch basket? Drill out the rivets? Istall an new friction disc and then bash the new rivets to hold the friction disc?  Has anyone done this? Or is it necessary to buy a new clutch basket with the friction disc already installed?

Re: Clutch chatter noise

P Snidal
At 10:23 PM 9/9/2012, you wrote:
>How does one go about renewing the clutch friction disc on the
>clutch basket? Drill out the rivets? Istall an new friction disc and
>then bash the new rivets to hold the friction disc?  Has anyone done
>this? Or is it necessary to buy a new clutch basket with the
>friction disc already installed?

It should be possible to rivet a new friction liner in place.  You
might even be able to use the old one, by drilling fresh holes offset
from the old ones.  Or start with a new disk - part no.s for disk and
rivets are shown in the parts dwgs in my manual.  Might be a spot of
bother getting them these days, though. I'm confident someone in
India could find them..
Good luck with it,
ps