Determining production year

Leif Brynildsen
Hello, I am a new member and I have for only a few weeks been a
Enfield-owner. Bought a bike from Madaan Motors in Dehli, supposed to
be a 1965 Bullet 500, took 2 years to reach me...
Anyway, now it's here, and last week I visited the auto-registry to do
the paperwork, but with little success. They said the could not verify
the age of the bike from the very worn Indian vehicle document. So if
someone here can help me dechiffering the serial-number(s) into some
year/date, that would be fine. The bike has two sets of numbers, both
on engine and steering head. They are G2/54194 and E1/27194. From what
I have found here I suppose it is about correct with -65, but that it
probably is a 350 because of that?
Is it possible to get some kind of official statement from someone
related to the factory, like dealers or official clubs?

Regards

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

Tim Busby
Madann Motors; oh dear. A notorious rip-off artist of western visitors..
At least you final got a bike. Not like others...
They are currently embroiled in litigation with various disgruntled
over-seas 'clients'.
Any way.
No 500's were made in India prior to 1989. Your bike is a fake...
I have seen several so called similar bike with almost identical engine
and frame numbers in NZ; all purported to be 1965, when in fact they
are made up of over 90% post 1993 components.
The con job is to fake a copy of early 60's/70's bikes documentation,
and affix the numbers to late model bikes; probably stolen...
Your bike WILL have been assembled from a collection of mismatched and
worn out parts; even if it starts and runs I doubt if it will run for
long prior to suffering a major mechaincal break-down. Least ways none
that made into in NZ ever did...
Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but you have been ripped
off.
:-(
As for getting it registered...
I doubt if any knowledgeable RE expert would ever put their name to any
sworn statement verifying the bona-fides of your bike.
:-( :-(

Tim
N.Z.

 "Leif Brynildsen" <lbry@...> wrote:

> Hello, I am a new member and I have for only a few weeks been a
> Enfield-owner. Bought a bike from Madaan Motors in Dehli, supposed to
> be a 1965 Bullet 500, took 2 years to reach me... > Regards
>
> Leif Brynildsen
> Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

williamjrice2000
--- In [hidden email], "Leif Brynildsen" <lbry@...> wrote:
>The bike has two sets of numbers, both on engine and steering head.
>They are G2/54194 and E1/27194.

Leif,
As far as I am aware the G2 series of numbers relate to the 350cc Royal
Enfields that were built in England. If they were exported to India,
during that short period when Enfield India assembled but not
manufactured, bikes then Enfield India stamped the letters EI for,
Enfield India, followed by a number that was similar to the G2 number.
So in that short period there were two sets of inentification numbers
on the frames and engines. All that changed when full scale
manufacturing started in India. From then onwards neither frames or
engines made in India would have G2 stamped on them. So the number on
your frame may be correct for a bike frame made about 1956 but a 500cc
engine could not possibly have a G2 number. I think your bike is what
we would call a "BITSA" ie made from bits and pieces.
Regards,
William

Re: Determining production year

steve hill-3
Hi Leif.
In my dating book  1963 started with G2 53306 and ended wiyh G2
57049 , hope this helps

Steve in OZ.

Re: Determining production year

davidsblakeslee
Thought you guys might be interested to see the website I have put up regarding Madaan Motors.
I was myself ripped off by the man a couple of years ago.
Hopefully this website will prevent people from making the same mistake as we did.
Cheers,
David

Re: Determining production year

shivajii
"In 1949 the first new models were introduced: the 350 cc full sprung Bullet, and a 500 cc twin. The sportier alloy head, swing arm frame 350 cc Bullet was a sensation. It was the 1954 350 cc Bullet model which was to be made in India until the present (read further down). In 1953 the 500 cc model appeared, using the same bottom end. After 1956 a new frame was introduced in the British-made version of the Bullet, making it different from the 1954 model still being produced in India. The British made version was manufactured until 1964. TheBullet 350 and 500 also used the fully floating big end design." quote wikipedia

altough it might be true that no 500cc bullets where built in india pior to 1989 does that say the bike is a fake?
so all the bikes sold in india and where not manufactured there are fake bikes? interesting point of few!
where riding delhi - europe with friends 2 350cc bullet´s and 1 diesel bullet - a few years ago. purchased with madaan motors. funny enough we had no problems besides a broken chain... (9000km ride, two bikes) and a destroyed rear sproket because our friend did not grease the chain on his diesel...
of course that was madaans fault.....

by the way, we got ALL our bikes registred at home. (germany, switzerland)   1964 models... and yes they are ALL but together of pieces - was hard to get a completely original 1964 bike!!! strange ha?

have fun

harry

Tim Busby wrote

 "Leif Brynildsen" <lbry@...> wrote:

> Hello, I am a new member and I have for only a few weeks been a
> Enfield-owner. Bought a bike from Madaan Motors in Dehli, supposed to
> be a 1965 Bullet 500, took 2 years to reach me... > Regards
>
> Leif Brynildsen
> Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

shivajii
what does maddan say about that? did you contact him and ask him?
i do know it can be VERY VERY hard to get answers from him at times but you should try at least i think. and unfortunately  friends had similar experiances with his delivery times... took a AGES but DID arrive - cost him lot´s of nerves tough!

all the best and good luck with registering the bike

harry
Leif Brynildsen wrote
Hello, I am a new member and I have for only a few weeks been a
Enfield-owner. Bought a bike from Madaan Motors in Dehli, supposed to
be a 1965 Bullet 500, took 2 years to reach me...
Anyway, now it's here, and last week I visited the auto-registry to do
the paperwork, but with little success. They said the could not verify
the age of the bike from the very worn Indian vehicle document. So if
someone here can help me dechiffering the serial-number(s) into some
year/date, that would be fine. The bike has two sets of numbers, both
on engine and steering head. They are G2/54194 and E1/27194. From what
I have found here I suppose it is about correct with -65, but that it
probably is a 350 because of that?
Is it possible to get some kind of official statement from someone
related to the factory, like dealers or official clubs?

Regards

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

bruce d
hi, everyone there.
according to my knowledge which is written in books itself that royal enfield co in england close down in the year of 1968 even they stop production in 1962 but they have so much in stock that they have assembeled till 1968 when they stopped and taken over by indian co called madras motors.
so eventually the the bikes with g2 series are made in england.
in india the bikes which is registered in 1969 the chasis no. are changed to B/XXXXXX/9HX.
so the bikes which have g2 no. are english made and they have started with g2/xxxxx with 5 digit no.s followed by g2.
so about 500cc the bikes made by british they came in two types frames one in normal frame like royal enfield and secondly in continental frame and both bikes are gone to India.these bikes are made in england till 1962. but assembled till 1968.
in 1962 the series have 5 digit no.s started from g2/40000 onward and i think 1965 itself g2/50000 onwards.
i have even proof of it which are books published in 1970 by British authors.
so i think your bike is 1965 model.
regards
bruce d
Leif Brynildsen wrote
Hello, I am a new member and I have for only a few weeks been a
Enfield-owner. Bought a bike from Madaan Motors in Dehli, supposed to
be a 1965 Bullet 500, took 2 years to reach me...
Anyway, now it's here, and last week I visited the auto-registry to do
the paperwork, but with little success. They said the could not verify
the age of the bike from the very worn Indian vehicle document. So if
someone here can help me dechiffering the serial-number(s) into some
year/date, that would be fine. The bike has two sets of numbers, both
on engine and steering head. They are G2/54194 and E1/27194. From what
I have found here I suppose it is about correct with -65, but that it
probably is a 350 because of that?
Is it possible to get some kind of official statement from someone
related to the factory, like dealers or official clubs?

Regards

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

olafharleman
Hı there,

I am currently drıvıng a Madaan Enfıeld (350) from Hındustan to Hollandstan and I am sufferıng from several problems, but luckıly not as bad as my travelmate Matthıas (www.longwayhome.at)......
My engınenumber ıs G2/68288 and ıt ıs supposed to be a '66 bıke. The chassısnumber ıs exactly the same, ıs that possıble????
Hope I get lucky wıth the regıstratıon back ın Holland.
(I only found out about Madaan rıght after the purchase, hehe)

Greetz,
Olaf

bruce d wrote
[...]

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

joshdsouza
Hi Leif,

I am afraid you've been sold a dummy, if engine and frame number do not match foul play has definitely occured.

Josh

Leif Brynildsen wrote
Hello, I am a new member and I have for only a few weeks been a
Enfield-owner. Bought a bike from Madaan Motors in Dehli, supposed to
be a 1965 Bullet 500, took 2 years to reach me...
Anyway, now it's here, and last week I visited the auto-registry to do
the paperwork, but with little success. They said the could not verify
the age of the bike from the very worn Indian vehicle document. So if
someone here can help me dechiffering the serial-number(s) into some
year/date, that would be fine. The bike has two sets of numbers, both
on engine and steering head. They are G2/54194 and E1/27194. From what
I have found here I suppose it is about correct with -65, but that it
probably is a 350 because of that?
Is it possible to get some kind of official statement from someone
related to the factory, like dealers or official clubs?

Regards

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

Harsh11
Dear William,

I am a new member of the forum and this is my first post. The engine number of my vehicle is G2/50136. Can you please help me with the year of the vehicle.

Regards
Harsh
williamjrice2000 wrote
--- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Leif Brynildsen" <lbry@...> wrote:
>The bike has two sets of numbers, both on engine and steering head.
>They are G2/54194 and E1/27194.

Leif,
As far as I am aware the G2 series of numbers relate to the 350cc Royal
Enfields that were built in England. If they were exported to India,
during that short period when Enfield India assembled but not
manufactured, bikes then Enfield India stamped the letters EI for,
Enfield India, followed by a number that was similar to the G2 number.
So in that short period there were two sets of inentification numbers
on the frames and engines. All that changed when full scale
manufacturing started in India. From then onwards neither frames or
engines made in India would have G2 stamped on them. So the number on
your frame may be correct for a bike frame made about 1956 but a 500cc
engine could not possibly have a G2 number. I think your bike is what
we would call a "BITSA" ie made from bits and pieces.
Regards,
William

Re: Determining production year

ahmedkhan2k
Hello Mr. Bruce,

I need a help, I have recently bought an royal enfield 1969 model with the engine number B/86606/9H. Can you please confirm whether it is made in england or made in india. Please write to me on ahmedkhan2k@yahoo.com.

Regards,
ahmed
[...]

Leif Brynildsen
Lillehammer, Norway

Re: Determining production year

bijupranavam
I Am Proud Owner Of Old Model Ex Military 350 Bullet.Old Cycle Hub,Speedometer Cable From Rear,Small Break Lights ....Frame Number Starts With B205XXX0CX And Engine No 205XXX.
Anybody Please Help Me To Find Out The Actual Model Of The Bullet.  Whether Its Royal ?

Re: Determining production year

Sasimenon
Hi

I am also owning an army disposed bullet since 1986 with same specifications of yours.
Chasis B170XXX0GX which is a 1976 model as was seen in disposal documents. Even I do not know whether it is with a G2 engine. There is a mark "G7" on the engine. Logically your bull should be after 1976.
Military disposals are heavier and of specified standards and are always Royal !

Regs
Sasi Menon

Re: Determining production year

artezen
HI , I JUST PURCHASED A 1968 ? 350 WITH  MATCHING ENGINE AND FRAME NOS G75340 AND AN EI NO 37340 ( BEING SIMILAR AS ANOTHER MEMEBR HAS WRITTEN.
SO FROM WHAT I READ HERE ITS PROBABLY MADE IN ENGLAND ANF ASSEMBLED IN INDIA?
ANY COMMENTS FOLKS