Enfields in Daily Use

oregonmuttlover
I use a motorcycle for daily transportation, riding about 20,000 miles a year on coastal Oregon's rural roads and secondary highways. The weather is seldom really cold, but is often wet.  The nearest Royal Enfield dealer is five hours away.

I would appreciate your assessment of the new models suitability to such use, and in particular, its reliability.

Thanks, and all the best,

Tom

Re: Enfields in Daily Use

Bare-2
Tom
The new models are perfect for the use you're looking at.
Bare

Re: Enfields in Daily Use

blltrdr81
Tom, love that part of the Oregon. I have traveled through the coast area before. Took my tour bike through the Columbia River Gorge area and up and around Mt. Hood last year continuing down the 84 past the Dalles over the river on 97 to Maryhill up to Goldendale east on 142 to Sunnyside. I would recommend this route for a spectacular ride. You would not go wrong on a new Enfield riding the type of roads you mention. I have been riding my iron barrel Bullet all over NW Washington for many years. Riding some of the the state routes takes the bike to it's cruising speed limit where the new UCE RE handles these roads with much more ease. This probably takes less out of you by the rides end.

Good luck with your decision.

Brad

--- In [hidden email], "oregonmuttlover" <tomfburke@...> wrote:

> I use a motorcycle for daily transportation, riding about 20,000 miles a year on coastal Oregon's rural roads and secondary highways. The weather is seldom really cold, but is often wet.  The nearest Royal Enfield dealer is five hours away.
>
> I would appreciate your assessment of the new models suitability to such use, and in particular, its reliability.
>
> Thanks, and all the best,
>
> Tom

Re: Enfields in Daily Use

Bruce-105
Wow. Kudos to you in that riding environment.

--- In [hidden email], "oregonmuttlover" <tomfburke@...> wrote:

> I use a motorcycle for daily transportation, riding about 20,000 miles a year on coastal Oregon's rural roads and secondary highways. The weather is seldom really cold, but is often wet.  The nearest Royal Enfield dealer is five hours away.
>
> I would appreciate your assessment of the new models suitability to such use, and in particular, its reliability.
>
> Thanks, and all the best,
>
> Tom

Re: Enfields in Daily Use

Anirban-5
I use my CI Bullet DAILY to commute to work & back and for the once-in-two-weeks weekend trip around southern India; an average of 80kms per day on weekdays & 1000kms roundtrip on the weekends. I have been doing this over 2 decades now through all sorts of weather conditions & although it doesn't snow here, it pours heavily during monsoons apart from the sudden cyclonic rains that occur on most months. I have always found the Enfield to be very reliable under most weather conditions apart from the occassional rust in the ageing chrome particularly at the joints & a bit of hard cold-starting during the deep winter that can be lived with by a Bulleteer.

I know a good no of people using the newer Enfields on a regular basis. During the initial possession, they usually feel dissatisfied with the absence of the old Bullet characteristics particularly if they used to ride a CI model earlier; however with time the same guys come to appreciate the new models. They have been felt to be more responsive in performance & require comparatively lesser maintainance & also frankly, lesser technical understanding about the motorcycle.

However with the increased electricals (& electronics), they find it a better choice to sit-out the heavy downpours most of the time which normally I don't care much with my mc's mechanical (& outdated off-course) points & negligible electrical system. Apart from this one point, I haven't heard ANY issues from these people about the newer models.

Regards,
Anirban Sinha.
Bangalore, India.