Fire in the Hole

Gary Seera
Howdy Y'all

Last week, I had fire in the hole i.e. a hole in piston while I was running her at 80mph for a sustained amount of time (maybe 20, 30 mins). I had done a top end 1500 miles ago. The exhaust header always had a leak and I tried superficial ways to fix it with no effect (there are scours and pits on the head where the pipe goes that need to welded); tried putting a very thin aluminum sheet which made the leak lesser than before but she had already run a 1000 miles by then. I think I was running a little lean and red lining when this happened... stupidity at its best.

I had a friend come and rescue me from the freeway and I opened her up as soon as I got back to the house. There were metal bits in the exhaust pipe, the exhaust valve spring was loose when I took the rocker off, couldnt find the stem, exhaust valve was somewhere in the barrel all disfigured, the rings were not broken, diameter of the hole in the piston is 2.5-inches, the barrel seemed fine, connecting rod had a melt mark at the top, there were some press marks on the crank flywheels, and the heads all battered up. I have not opened the crank case yet.

It took me a little bit to realize (thus the delay in this post 08/22/2012) I was darn lucky to have pressed the clutch when I heard clank clank clank because when I pulled over and tried the kick for kicks... it was jammed; imagine the rear wheel locking up at 80... darn it... phew! A coupla sleepless nights and I am getting to terms now.

Reason I am writing this is to tell y'all bulleteers to be careful and fix stuff if you know something is wrong (things can get pretty bad cause of small leak in the exhaust, running lean, and red lining a pretty old machine). And if you are doing a top-end on your bullet dont get the indian-made piston... get a 535 from Ace or a std 500 from hitchcocks. Its worth the money. Now I have 2 bullets in the shop, one being baptized an ACE Fireball and the other stock one I just broke. Fun times ahead in the garage!

Stay Safe,
-Gary (TX)

Re: Fire in the Hole [1 Attachment]

Gary Seera
Here's the pic!

-Gary

________________________________

Re: Fire in the Hole

Gary Seera
Just got the autopsy report yesterday.

Problem: The exhaust valve snapped off from the stem. It was an American made Kibblewhite Diamond valve that I got from www.nfieldgear.com. I have no idea why this happened but I think its safe to blame it on the valve/brand.

-Gary (TX)

________________________________

Re: Fire in the Hole

Rick Ferguson
You don't think "running a little lean and red lining" might have had
something to do with the exhaust valve failure?   What I want to know is
how you got a stock Bullet up to 80mph for 20-30 minutes!

Cheers
Rick F

On 9/14/2012 10:21 AM, Gary Seera wrote:

> Problem: The exhaust valve snapped off from the stem. It was an American
> made Kibblewhite Diamond valve that I got from www.nfieldgear.com
> <http://www.nfieldgear.com/>. I have no idea why this happened but I
> think its safe to blame it on the valve/brand.
>
> -Gary (TX)

Re: Fire in the Hole

Tom Lyons
Gary,
Kibblewhite is one of the best valve makers in the world.
We also use those valves in our Clubman Head modification.
They are very good valves.

Tom

________________________________
Problem: The exhaust valve snapped off from the stem. It was an American made Kibblewhite Diamond valve that I got from www.nfieldgear.com. I have no idea why this happened but I think its safe to blame it on the valve/brand.

-Gary (TX)

________________________________

Re: Fire in the Hole

Gary Seera
You are absolutely right Rick! Running lean and red lining definitely took the toll, but I would have imagined a hole in the piston before the valve snapped off. 20-30 minutes were on and off... lets say 5 mins full throttle and back on the service road for a little and so on so forth till clank clank clank. The head was Stage 1,  valves were a little oversized,  head was slightly ported, shorter performance exhaust, 18 tooth sprocket etc.

cheers
-Gary (TX)

________________________________
You don't think "running a little lean and red lining" might have had
something to do with the exhaust valve failure?   What I want to know is
how you got a stock Bullet up to 80mph for 20-30 minutes!

Cheers
Rick F

On 9/14/2012 10:21 AM, Gary Seera wrote:

> Problem: The exhaust valve snapped off from the stem. It was an American
> made Kibblewhite Diamond valve that I got from www.nfieldgear.com
> <http://www.nfieldgear.com/>. I have no idea why this happened but I
> think its safe to blame it on the valve/brand.
>
> -Gary (TX)

Re: Fire in the Hole

Gary Seera
Ok Tom... ill take the blame for riding like a maniac.. haha :)

________________________________

Problem: The exhaust valve snapped off from the stem. It was an American made Kibblewhite Diamond valve that I got from www.nfieldgear.com. I have no idea why this happened but I think its safe to blame it on the valve/brand.

-Gary (TX)

________________________________

Re: Fire in the Hole

William J Fowler

--- In [hidden email], Gary Seera <gary.seera@...> wrote:

> Just got the autopsy report yesterday.
>
> Problem: The exhaust valve snapped off from the stem. It was an American made Kibblewhite Diamond valve that I got from www.nfieldgear.com. I have no idea why this happened but I think its safe to blame it on the valve/brand.
>
> -Gary (TX)
>

> ________________________________

Gary,

      I am sorry for your luck, but the valve quality is the best out there. Try regarding this as a learning experience. Even if we would rather not admit it, we have all done something like this. On a brighter note, now is the time to consider other modifications for reliability and performance. Winter is coming and you can have them all done and be riding in early Spring on a  better than new machine.

Best regards,
Jeff Fowler

Re: Fire in the Hole

David Kelleher
If you examine the break in the valve the grain size will reveal if it was faulty.
 Big grain size will indicate poor heat treatment and/or work hardening.

 Daithi

Re: Fire in the Hole

P Snidal

Problem: The exhaust valve snapped off from the stem. It was an American made Kibblewhite Diamond valve that I got from www.nfieldgear.com. I have no idea why this happened but I think its safe to blame it on the valve/brand.

Do you think this might have had something to do with it?

Last week, I had fire in the hole i.e. a hole in piston while I was running her at 80mph for a sustained amount of time (maybe 20, 30 mins).

And possibly this?

 I think I was running a little lean and red lining when this happened... stupidity at its best.

Exhaust valves actually get red to white hot when being run overly hard, too hot, and especially too lean.  Even when made with the best of metal, something's gonna give under those conditions.

80 mph! ewwwww! (shudder)
I think I'd keep it down below 60 when I got it back together.  And check Real Regular to make sure I'm not lean - especially at the top of the range!
Good luck with it!
ps www.enfield.20m.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Your personal settings are at:
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
[hidden email]
.

__,_._,___

Re: Fire in the Hole

NYCBSAers
I was running her at 80mph for a sustained amount of time (maybe 20,  30
mins

Gary,
   Why on earth would you run a poor little Enfield at 80 mph for  1/2
hour?  These are wonderful bikes for puttering around town or back  roads with
real tight curves.  I can think of dozens of bikes better suited  for  80+
mph on a slab.  If your Enfield was an animal the PETA people  would be
picketing you.  Next time you have a need for speed, go ride a  Ducaaaati (that IS
how you must say it) or a High-a-bussa.  But if a sunny  fall afternoon
presents itself, go find a VERY twisty road and enjoy you  Enfield.
Marty
"Your opinions may vary"

Re: Re: Fire in the Hole

Gary Seera
hahaha (sheepish laugh)... I get it guys and I apologize for breaking  the Enfield. Hell, if I was on the other side I would be saying that too. Thank goodness she isnt an animal! I have 2 Enfields and have no inclination towards the Ducaaaati and High-a-bussa... might get a 750 commando or an Interceptor some day though. Pete, she shall be at 60 so on so forth.

I am building the second one an ACE Fireball which should be able to go at such speeds and the first one that I broke shall remain stock.

Cheers

-Gary (TX)

PS - Marty, I am of the same opinion :)