Gearbox cover now off !.

Gerry-43
Well I now have the gearbox inner cover off, the problem I was having was that I had not removed the gear operator plunger nut & this was holding the cover on. I have 2 manuals & neither of them mentioned removing this nut, I'm planning on replacing the right hand mainshaft bearing for one with seals so I can use oil in the gearbox instead of grease.

Cheers, Gerry.

Re: Gearbox cover now off !.

P Snidal

At 09:04 AM 12/2/2012, you wrote:

I have 2 manuals & neither of them mentioned removing this nut,

Why I sat down and wrote a manual some years ago. It says this, among lots of other things:
-------
"When you remove the GOS Assembly as a whole, you don't want the chisel point to be engaged in a gear-position slot in the bellcrank, since it will resist turning, and may be damaged. So, when rotating the GOSA itself, (as for total removal or simply tension adjustment), you want to engage the gearbox in a "false neutral," ie in a position between gears, so that the chisel point is against a smooth portion of the bellcrank segment in between notches.

First remove the detent plunger locknut, Then you'll want to remove the GOSA assembly, since it holds the inner case into the gearbox case itself. . Be aware that rotation of the GOSA assembly will result in a change in orientation of the plunger's chisel point relative to the notches in the bellcrank, meaning you will want the screw slot of the GOSA to be replaced in its original orientatiion on reasssembly. Make a note of the orientation of the screw slot before removing the assembly. ount the number of turns for removal. This may prove to be the number you use for reassembly, or not, depending. But it will at least give you a starting point. (Note that the orientation of the screw slot is not particularly related to that of the chisel point at the other end.) Be sure to place the locknut in the parts tray along with the GOSA assy. I'd screw it on there just to ensure it doesn't get lost. "
----

I'm planning on replacing the right hand mainshaft bearing for one with seals so I can use oil in the gearbox instead of grease.

It says that, too!  Good idea, and well recommended!
ps
www.enfield.20m.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Your personal settings are at:
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
[hidden email]
.

__,_._,___

unsubscribe me pls...

Rajesh Shiva
can some body pls exclude my email id.. i have sent 2 blank emails but no reponse so far..

Thanx & Regards!
Rajesh

________________________________

the gearbox instead of grease. It says that, too!  Good idea, and well recommended! ps http://www.enfield.20m.com/

Re: unsubscribe me pls...

P Snidal

At 12:18 PM 12/3/2012, Rajesh wrote:

can some body pls exclude my email id.. i have sent 2 blank emails but no reponse so far..

Did you send it to [hidden email],
or just to the list as a reply?  Different addresses!

And it has to come from you.  If anyone else tries to send one for you, it'll disconnect him, not you...

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to

Change settings via email: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | [hidden email]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Your personal settings are at:
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
[hidden email]
.

__,_._,___

Re: unsubscribe me pls...

Rajesh Shiva
yes i did send a blank email to [hidden email]

Thanx & Regards!
Rajesh

Re: unsubscribe me pls...a message to those who get too many emails...

umrcc
Done - I notice that the account was still set to "individual emails" which must be annoying when it's busy.

You can easily set your account to "daily digest" or even "web only" -which, unless you are a bit lonely, would probably be preferred by most.

and click Edit Membership (on left hand side towards top of page)

Regards
Martin