Handlebars question - 250 Crusader

adrianfryatt2004
One end seems to be lower than the other - my bike must have been dropped at some stage in its life.  Is there a way of straightening them with minimal cosmetic damage?  I am reluctant to source new bars as they are the original ones with the lever pivots being part of the bars structure - presumably made of unobtainium?

Re: Handlebars question - 250 Crusader

John Halford
try asking a plumber, they bend tube's without kinking, or warm the bars up and try,

250 Crusader my first bike.
 john,  in the uk

One end seems to be lower than the other - my bike must have been dropped at some stage in its life. Is there a way of straightening them with minimal cosmetic damage? I am reluctant to source new bars as they are the original ones with the lever pivots being part of the bars structure - presumably made of unobtainium?

Re: Handlebars question - 250 Crusader

Bunty Golightly

Fryatt old chap , there's nothing for it but brute force and ignorance ,indeed so .
Take the ruddy handlebars orf the bike and stick 'em in a vice , blacksmith's preferably , and slide a goodish length of large pipe over the end of the handlebar and heave away . Not difficult eh what ?
Be careful not to kink the jolly old handlebar , several small bends at different places on the curve are better than one large effort - there's a good chap  . You can pack the bars with sand which will help prevent kinking , or so I'm told , never bothered meself .
Miss Phitten-Willing is proficient in the art of bending .Dammned useful , considering my habit of driving into the undergrowth on the way home from the Kickstarter's Arms , don't yer think .
She can straighten out a chap's plumbing before you can say " Handlebar 7/8th inch Royal Enfield for the use of ".
Quite remarkable haar haaaaar haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar !!

I say ,all this talk of physical effort has given one a great thirst , time for a drinky ? Glad you agree .
Landlord ! Drinks all round and make 'em pints of Crusader's Bitter .

Cheers
Your servant .
Maj Bunty Golightly MBH , Defender of the Kickstart , Companion of the Royal Floatchamber .
--- In [hidden email], "adrianfryatt2004" <Adrian.Fryatt@...> wrote:

> One end seems to be lower than the other - my bike must have been dropped at some stage in its life.  Is there a way of straightening them with minimal cosmetic damage?  I am reluctant to source new bars as they are the original ones with the lever pivots being part of the bars structure - presumably made of unobtainium?

Re: Handlebars question - 250 Crusader

umrcc
"driving into the undergrowth on the way home from the
Kickstarter's Arms , don't yer think" - Shome mishtake shurely - too dark for golf on return from the pub...

--- In [hidden email], "Maj Bertram Golightly MBH" <bulldogsmle@...> wrote:

> Fryatt old chap , there's nothing for it but brute force and ignorance ,indeed so .
> Take the ruddy handlebars orf the bike and stick 'em in a vice , blacksmith's preferably , and slide a goodish length of large pipe over the end of the handlebar and heave away . Not difficult eh what ?
> Be careful not to kink the jolly old handlebar , several small bends at different places on the curve are better than one large effort - there's a good chap  . You can pack the bars with sand which will help prevent kinking , or so I'm told , never bothered meself .
> Miss Phitten-Willing is proficient in the art of bending .Dammned useful , considering my habit of driving into the undergrowth on the way home from the Kickstarter's Arms , don't yer think .
> She can straighten out a chap's plumbing before you can say " Handlebar 7/8th inch Royal Enfield for the use of ".
> Quite remarkable haar haaaaar haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar !!
>
> I say ,all this talk of physical effort has given one a great thirst , time for a drinky ? Glad you agree .
> Landlord ! Drinks all round and make 'em pints of Crusader's Bitter .
>
> Cheers
> Your servant .
> Maj Bunty Golightly MBH , Defender of the Kickstart , Companion of the Royal Floatchamber .
> --- In [hidden email], "adrianfryatt2004" <Adrian.Fryatt@> wrote:
> >
> > One end seems to be lower than the other - my bike must have been dropped at some stage in its life.  Is there a way of straightening them with minimal cosmetic damage?  I am reluctant to source new bars as they are the original ones with the lever pivots being part of the bars structure - presumably made of unobtainium?

Re: Handlebars question - 250 Crusader

Bare-2
The Major's is absolutely right. that's how it's been done for decades.
Except sometimes we don't even bother taking the bars off the bike!
Bare

Re: Handlebars question - 250 Crusader

adrianfryatt2004
Bertram you're a funny man!   No surprise you're an enfield owner old chap!