Quantcast

Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

Wesley-32
I have had my bullet for about a little over a month now.  It is the most difficult bike to start that I have ever owned.  I have been practicing everyday to try to figure out the right combination of prime kicks, half kicks to get the ammeter in the correct position, choke on, choke off, twist the idle screw in.  I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and there is good spark.  Battery fully charged.

Sometimes I can prime it and it fires in one or two kicks cold, sometimes same steps are taken and it will take 20 kicks to get her going.  Same thing when it's hot.

I love the bike but wish I knew how to start it with less effort.

Is there something that I'm missing?  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks-
Wes in North Carolina

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

Gerry-43
Hi Wes,

The technique I use on all my singles is as follows,

1, Gently depress the kickstart & bring the piston up to compression.
2, Operate the decompresser & ease the piston just over top dead centre.
3, Either apply the choke or tickle the carb as appropriate.
4, Turn on the ignition.
5, Throw your weight on the kickstart.

All being well she will start, this usually works well for me & is a
technique I have used for years. Ignore the ammeter, my BSA & my Norton
singles repond well as do both of my Bullets 500 & 350.

Cheers, Gerry.

On 27/07/12 05:20, Wesley wrote:

> I have had my bullet for about a little over a month now.  It is the most difficult bike to start that I have ever owned.  I have been practicing everyday to try to figure out the right combination of prime kicks, half kicks to get the ammeter in the correct position, choke on, choke off, twist the idle screw in.  I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and there is good spark.  Battery fully charged.
>
> Sometimes I can prime it and it fires in one or two kicks cold, sometimes same steps are taken and it will take 20 kicks to get her going.  Same thing when it's hot.
>
> I love the bike but wish I knew how to start it with less effort.
>
> Is there something that I'm missing?  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks-
> Wes in North Carolina

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

rattan-2
You don't really have to throw all your weight, if you have done the first
4 steps correctly. At least on my Indian made bullet, it starts
effortlessly in the second kick

Rattan

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Gerry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Hi Wes,
>
> The technique I use on all my singles is as follows,
>
> 1, Gently depress the kickstart & bring the piston up to compression.
> 2, Operate the decompresser & ease the piston just over top dead centre.
> 3, Either apply the choke or tickle the carb as appropriate.
> 4, Turn on the ignition.
> 5, Throw your weight on the kickstart.
>
> All being well she will start, this usually works well for me & is a
> technique I have used for years. Ignore the ammeter, my BSA & my Norton
> singles repond well as do both of my Bullets 500 & 350.
>
> Cheers, Gerry.
>
>  On 27/07/12 05:20, Wesley wrote:
>
> I have had my bullet for about a little over a month now.  It is the most difficult bike to start that I have ever owned.  I have been practicing everyday to try to figure out the right combination of prime kicks, half kicks to get the ammeter in the correct position, choke on, choke off, twist the idle screw in.  I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and there is good spark.  Battery fully charged.
>
> Sometimes I can prime it and it fires in one or two kicks cold, sometimes same steps are taken and it will take 20 kicks to get her going.  Same thing when it's hot.
>
> I love the bike but wish I knew how to start it with less effort.
>
> Is there something that I'm missing?  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks-
> Wes in North Carolina

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

P Snidal
This is why I prefer the Amal carb so much!  When you press the
tickler until gas drips out, you know you've got enough fuel going
down the hole for a first-kick start.  I'm thinking your problem is
most likely leanness when starting.  You might try raising the float
level a touch.  And/or blowing out your idle circuit with air or WD-40.

For motivation, try a squirt bottle - I use an old mustard bottle -
full of gas.  A squirt or two down the carb throat can do wonders.  I
have a chain saw that will ONLY start this way when fully
cold.  There must be a fix, but this has been much simpler for the
past 10 years! <grin>

Another help is often a rare-element spark plug - smaller electrode
sees a more intense spark.  They foul more easily, though, so you
have to be on top of your mixture in the rest of the throttle range.

Best of luck with it!  Poor starting is the most maddening thing on the planet!
ps www.enfield.20m.com

At 09:20 PM 7/26/2012, you wrote:

>I have had my bullet for about a little over a month now.  It is the
>most difficult bike to start that I have ever owned.  I have been
>practicing everyday to try to figure out the right combination of
>prime kicks, half kicks to get the ammeter in the correct position,
>choke on, choke off, twist the idle screw in.  I have cleaned the
>carb thoroughly and there is good spark.  Battery fully charged.
>
>Sometimes I can prime it and it fires in one or two kicks cold,
>sometimes same steps are taken and it will take 20 kicks to get her
>going.  Same thing when it's hot.
>
>I love the bike but wish I knew how to start it with less effort.
>
>Is there something that I'm missing?  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
>Thanks-
>Wes in North Carolina

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

Bare-2
Put a Boyer ignition in it.
Bare

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

NYCBSAers
5, Throw your weight on the  kickstart.

_____________________________________

That last step is OK for very high compression engines or twins and
triples.  On lower compression engines like an Enfield or a B-33 BSA, more  of a
swing thru ... all the way thru  ... or it will come back and bite  you.

Marty

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

Karl Fabian
I have a 1999 350 Standard. The best technique I have found on a cold engine start is to kick over the engine rapidly (ignition off gas on) about 4 times with the decompressor and the CHOKE ON. Then release decompressor and bring engine up on compression. Turn on ignition and give it a healthy kick with a little bit of throttle and with choke still on. Usually starts every time. If no start kick again choke still on. If no start open throttle half way with choke off and try. One problem with the 350 is the carb slide on the 24MM Mikarb  is too lean. I upgraded my bike from the standard 2.5 throttle slide (part # 141957) to the richer 2.0 slide part # 141957A. The bike starts easier and has much improved throttle response. As far as I know the 2.0 slide is only available through Hitchcocks.

Good Luck,
Karl

--- In [hidden email], "Wesley" <wesleywshepherd@...> wrote:

> I have had my bullet for about a little over a month now.  It is the most difficult bike to start that I have ever owned.  I have been practicing everyday to try to figure out the right combination of prime kicks, half kicks to get the ammeter in the correct position, choke on, choke off, twist the idle screw in.  I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and there is good spark.  Battery fully charged.
>
> Sometimes I can prime it and it fires in one or two kicks cold, sometimes same steps are taken and it will take 20 kicks to get her going.  Same thing when it's hot.
>
> I love the bike but wish I knew how to start it with less effort.
>
> Is there something that I'm missing?  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks-
> Wes in North Carolina

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

Royalenfield
When set up correctly these bikes can be HAND started hot or cold.
It simply needs a good tune up.
:-)
Double check that the ignition timing is spot on...
New Spark plug, check that the HT output of the coil is not corroded (oxidised) Air screw 1.5 turns out. Petrol on, choke on, NO THROTTLE!
Ease over compression, return to TDC, ease compression till ammeter centralises, gentle kick...

Tim
N.Z.

--- In [hidden email], "Wesley" <wesleywshepherd@...> wrote:

> I have had my bullet for about a little over a month now.  It is the most difficult bike to start that I have ever owned.  I have been practicing everyday to try to figure out the right combination of prime kicks, half kicks to get the ammeter in the correct position, choke on, choke off, twist the idle screw in.  I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and there is good spark.  Battery fully charged.
>
> Sometimes I can prime it and it fires in one or two kicks cold, sometimes same steps are taken and it will take 20 kicks to get her going.  Same thing when it's hot.
>
> I love the bike but wish I knew how to start it with less effort.
>
> Is there something that I'm missing?  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks-
> Wes in North Carolina

Re: Hard start 1998 350 Bullet

Karl Fabian
The centralize ammeter technique won't work on most US spec bikes. The headlight is on as soon as the ignition is on, at least that's how my 1999 350 is. Not sure about 1998 though. Eliminating the lights on feature would be a good idea. The ignition needs all the power it can get on start up.
Karl