The suggestion, from many quarters, to check head bolt torque soon after a top overhaul
is good advice.
I just retorqued after only 150 miles, and the torque readings had dropped from 24 lb/ft
into the 15-18 range. I had installed the hardened headbolt washers, as I had already had
some difficulty in removing the head, due to the soft washers extruding into the head stud
I'm guessing that the headbolts don't "bite" into the hardened washers as well as into the
mild steel ones. I've never used Loctite on headbolts before, but I can't see where it would
do any harm, so, as the bolts were so loose, I removed one at a time, cleaned them with
brake cleaner, and gave each a good dollop of Blue Goo.
I'll check again in a couple hunderd miles, and report.