Help with gearbox strip !.

Gerry-43
Hi Guy's,

Just started to strip the 4-speed gearbox on my diesel conversion project bike, I haven't been inside an Enfield gearbox yet but have had plenty of BSA box's apart.

I have removed the outer cover & I'm looking at the neutral finder mechanism in front of me, I have undone the slot head screws that are holding the inner cover on & removed the 2 screws & the mainshaft cover.

If I remove the mainshaft nut will the cover then pull off ? or is there something else holding it as well, is the nut a left or right hand thread ?.

Any suggestions gratefully received, I'm trying to remove the mainshaft in order to fit the longer one required for the diesel conversion.

Cheers, Gerry.

Re: Help with gearbox strip !.

Tom-413
If I remember correctly, there is one flat head screw behind the ratchet assembly which may be covered with goo and may not be visible.  Make sure that one has been removed.

The mainshaft nut is left hand thread.    Then make sure the tang on the lock washer is bent out of the way. Put the trans in gear and apply the rear brake. Then, loosen the nut with a clockwise rotation using a socket wrench.

--- In [hidden email], "gvinrad" <gerry@...> wrote:

> Hi Guy's,
>
> Just started to strip the 4-speed gearbox on my diesel conversion project bike, I haven't been inside an Enfield gearbox yet but have had plenty of BSA box's apart.
>
> I have removed the outer cover & I'm looking at the neutral finder mechanism in front of me, I have undone the slot head screws that are holding the inner cover on & removed the 2 screws & the mainshaft cover.
>
> If I remove the mainshaft nut will the cover then pull off ? or is there something else holding it as well, is the nut a left or right hand thread ?.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received, I'm trying to remove the mainshaft in order to fit the longer one required for the diesel conversion.
>
> Cheers, Gerry.

Re: Help with gearbox strip !.

Tom-413
I forgot to mention that you will need to tap the inner cover with a rubber or leather mallet several times from different angles to persuade the cover free from the gasket.

--- In [hidden email], "Tom" <tschmidt@...> wrote:

> If I remember correctly, there is one flat head screw behind the ratchet assembly which may be covered with goo and may not be visible.  Make sure that one has been removed.
>
> The mainshaft nut is left hand thread.    Then make sure the tang on the lock washer is bent out of the way. Put the trans in gear and apply the rear brake. Then, loosen the nut with a clockwise rotation using a socket wrench.
>
> --- In [hidden email], "gvinrad" <gerry@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guy's,
> >
> > Just started to strip the 4-speed gearbox on my diesel conversion project bike, I haven't been inside an Enfield gearbox yet but have had plenty of BSA box's apart.
> >
> > I have removed the outer cover & I'm looking at the neutral finder mechanism in front of me, I have undone the slot head screws that are holding the inner cover on & removed the 2 screws & the mainshaft cover.
> >
> > If I remove the mainshaft nut will the cover then pull off ? or is there something else holding it as well, is the nut a left or right hand thread ?.
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received, I'm trying to remove the mainshaft in order to fit the longer one required for the diesel conversion.
> >
> > Cheers, Gerry.

Re: Help with gearbox strip !.

Gerry-43

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your help,I think the main issue I have is that I have already removed the engine, so locking the mainshaft in the manner you describe is a bit tricky. Is the hidden screw you refer to as being under the ratchet, the one that's towards the top of the neutral finder mechanism ?. The casing is already slightly loose, so no hammer required there. Spotted the tab washer & have bent the tang flat, so no problems there. I also have the clutch completely stripped off as well, the last thing I need right now is to have to put the engine back in. As if all of that wasn't bad enough I had to cut through the rusty final drive chain with an angle grinder to get it off, as there was no split link !.

Cheers, Gerry.

Re: Re: Help with gearbox strip !.

lee eldridge
Hi guys,

The magazine: Classic and Motorcycle Mechanics:  1991 September, October, November and December and 1992 January

Has a full picture perfect description of rebuilding the Albion gearbox.

http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/issue/View/issue/CMM199212/december-1992

Lee Eldridge
Australia
[hidden email]
0427874796

On 02/12/2012, at 9:18 PM, gvinrad wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for your help,I think the main issue I have is that I have already removed the engine, so locking the mainshaft in the manner you describe is a bit tricky. Is the hidden screw you refer to as being under the ratchet, the one that's towards the top of the neutral finder mechanism ?. The casing is already slightly loose, so no hammer required there. Spotted the tab washer & have bent the tang flat, so no problems there. I also have the clutch completely stripped off as well, the last thing I need right now is to have to put the engine back in. As if all of that wasn't bad enough I had to cut through the rusty final drive chain with an angle grinder to get it off, as there was no split link !.
>
> Cheers, Gerry.

Re: Help with gearbox strip !.

Tom-413
Hitchocks technical notes page has good description of the gearbox rebuild. See link below:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/technical-notes

--- In [hidden email], "gvinrad" <gerry@...> wrote:

> Hi Guy's,
>
> Just started to strip the 4-speed gearbox on my diesel conversion project bike, I haven't been inside an Enfield gearbox yet but have had plenty of BSA box's apart.
>
> I have removed the outer cover & I'm looking at the neutral finder mechanism in front of me, I have undone the slot head screws that are holding the inner cover on & removed the 2 screws & the mainshaft cover.
>
> If I remove the mainshaft nut will the cover then pull off ? or is there something else holding it as well, is the nut a left or right hand thread ?.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received, I'm trying to remove the mainshaft in order to fit the longer one required for the diesel conversion.
>
> Cheers, Gerry.

Re: Re: Help with gearbox strip !.

lee eldridge
These are copies of the articles from Classic and Motorcycle Mechanics.

I hope they have the correct copyrights

Lee Eldridge
Australia
[hidden email]