I'm new to the group

Charles-97
I have been reading the mail for the past 2 months while I have been working at my job as a merchant sailer in the Alaskan Arctic. Now that I am home on break I have just this week un boxed a 1950  R E  350 Model G that I bought and had shipped to me from England. Got it running but now I have to concentrate quite a bit as my daily driver is an older Sportster with the foot controls opposite those of the R E.  oh well, it will just take some practice and enough memory to figure out which bike I am on.

My last old Brit bike was a 650 BSA back in my college days (1969 or so).  As such I am having trouble remembering how to adjust the advance while driving. Any suggestions here would be appreciated as well as a possible source for a pdf file of the owners manual for this bike. I have bought a repair manual as well as a couple of other publications via ebay but have hopes of finding someone who has the operating/owners manual scanned.

???

Re: I'm new to the group

Rick Ferguson
Get yourself a copy of Bernie Nicholson's "Modern Motorcycle Mechanics":
http://www.modernmotorcyclemechanics.com/

I claim no Model G expertise but on my magneto- equipped BSA singles I would retard the spark a little for starting, then move it to full advance and leave it there.  If the bike had to idle for long I would knock it back a bit, or if I had plonk along at very low rpm, but otherwise the bikes were happy with full advance. Some mags are fully advanced on a slack wire, others are the reverse.  Shouldn't be hard to figure out which you have.

Cheers
Rick F

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 12, 2012, at 1:24 AM, "Charles" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been reading the mail for the past 2 months while I have been working at my job as a merchant sailer in the Alaskan Arctic. Now that I am home on break I have just this week un boxed a 1950  R E  350 Model G that I bought and had shipped to me from England. Got it running but now I have to concentrate quite a bit as my daily driver is an older Sportster with the foot controls opposite those of the R E.  oh well, it will just take some practice and enough memory to figure out which bike I am on.
>
> My last old Brit bike was a 650 BSA back in my college days (1969 or so).  As such I am having trouble remembering how to adjust the advance while driving. Any suggestions here would be appreciated as well as a possible source for a pdf file of the owners manual for this bike. I have bought a repair manual as well as a couple of other publications via ebay but have hopes of finding someone who has the operating/owners manual scanned.

Re: I'm new to the group

Charles-97

Thanks for the info Rick.  That is pretty much how I remember running the old Harley 45 I had way back when as well.  I am able to get the bike running and have gone up and down the block some.  Haven't the nerve yet to go for a long ride. I'm still staying within pushing distance of home until I get a little more comfortable.  That Modern  Motorcycle Mechanics book looks interesting but the prices are pretty dear both on ebay and Amazon. I think I will have to find one in a library first and see if it really worth the $$$ to me before I shell out that kind of money. Hopefully someone out there has anowners manual scanned.  I have done that to a few manuals I do own for other vehicles and it sure helps those of us on budgets!

Keep on Riding,

Chuck

--- In [hidden email], Bobby Dodger <twotyred@...> wrote:

> Get yourself a copy of Bernie Nicholson's "Modern Motorcycle Mechanics":
> http://www.modernmotorcyclemechanics.com/
>
> I claim no Model G expertise but on my magneto- equipped BSA singles I would retard the spark a little for starting, then move it to full advance and leave it there.  If the bike had to idle for long I would knock it back a bit, or if I had plonk along at very low rpm, but otherwise the bikes were happy with full advance. Some mags are fully advanced on a slack wire, others are the reverse.  Shouldn't be hard to figure out which you have.
>
> Cheers
> Rick F
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 12, 2012, at 1:24 AM, "Charles" <capthammer2003@...> wrote:
>
> > I have been reading the mail for the past 2 months while I have been working at my job as a merchant sailer in the Alaskan Arctic. Now that I am home on break I have just this week un boxed a 1950  R E  350 Model G that I bought and had shipped to me from England. Got it running but now I have to concentrate quite a bit as my daily driver is an older Sportster with the foot controls opposite those of the R E.  oh well, it will just take some practice and enough memory to figure out which bike I am on.
> >
> > My last old Brit bike was a 650 BSA back in my college days (1969 or so).  As such I am having trouble remembering how to adjust the advance while driving. Any suggestions here would be appreciated as well as a possible source for a pdf file of the owners manual for this bike. I have bought a repair manual as well as a couple of other publications via ebay but have hopes of finding someone who has the operating/owners manual scanned.

Re: I'm new to the group

P Snidal

>having trouble remembering how to adjust the advance while driving.

you'd be well advised, I think, to check the timing before riding it
much.  The specs for these exist mostly in people's memories these
days, but I think you'd be safe enough for what I always used as the
old stand-by in The Day: you want the points to release the tissue
(cigarette?) paper just as the piston reaches TDC with the handlebar
control set at full retard. This will also help you in determining
which way is which with the control - I'd expect that slack cable
will be full advance, tight cable retard.

If it's set that way, then I'd also expect that full advance will be
the normal way to ride, with the rare exceptions being when pulling
really hard in higher gears, as well as (possibly, but not likely)
starting - if you don't have any issues with kickback on starting,
just leave it advanced all the time.

>Any suggestions here would be appreciated as well as a possible
>source for a pdf file of the owners manual for this bike. I have
>bought a repair manual as well as a couple of other publications via
>ebay but have hopes of finding someone who has the operating/owners
>manual scanned.

www.royalenfieldbooks.com - look in Redditch Manuals

have fun with it!
ps www.enfield.20m.com

Re: I'm new to the group

P Snidal

>That Modern  Motorcycle Mechanics book looks interesting but the
>prices are pretty dear both on ebay and Amazon. I think I will have
>to find one in a library first and see if it really worth the $$$ to
>me before I shell out that kind of money. Hopefully someone out
>there has anowners manual scanned.  I have done that to a few
>manuals I do own for other vehicles and it sure helps those of us on budgets!

http://www.royalenfieldbooks.com/1950-1955_bullet_instruction_book.html

6 Pyinds from the UK - about 12 bucks, and it's got everything that
the Nick book has on Enfield singles.  You'll like it!
ps