Message from moderator

umrcc
Difficult position - on the one hand, the recent correspondence has sometimes been quite thought provoking, mildly amusing and constructive, on the other hand, at worst it has been mindless, tiresome and destructive.

Over the years, I can count on one hand the number of times I've deleted (non-spam) messages from esteemed group members (i.e. all of you), and seldom banned anyone. That's been a largely successful policy, borne of a desire to give everyone a chance to air their views, even if they go a bit loopy or OT on occasion. I'm  sure we're all happy to see discussions that open us up to new ideas, or non bike related topics from time to time.

However, when members who have never contributed before - on any topic -decide to join in the futile argument and fan the flames, rather than divert the conversation to something interesting, I begin to despair.

Irrelevant rubbish will therefore temporarily be removed, pending resumption of normal discussions.

Apologies, no desire to ban or censor. It's in your hands.

Regards
Martin

Re: Message from moderator

krimurali
Simply wow!!!
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Re: Message from moderator

Charles-97
Thank you.  Maybe now we can talk a bit about bikes.

Heres a start.  Ive now owned a 1950 Model G for about 6 months.  As I live in Washington State (USA) and most of my riding since highschool has been on American bikes ( I am 62 years old), I am having trouble switching to a bike with the brake on the left foot and shifter on the right. I have not taken any long runs yet, mostly to the store and back where there is very little traffic so I can concentrate on which foot to use when. I guess the other trick will be to stay off my Sporty for now and just get used to the RE.  Any one else gone thru this and have any suggestions besides 'BE CAREFUL'?

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 24, 2012, at 7:55, [hidden email] wrote:

> Simply wow!!!
>
> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
> From: "umrcc" <[hidden email]>
> Sender: [hidden email]
> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:52:04 -0000
> To: <[hidden email]>
> ReplyTo: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Enfield] Message from moderator
>

> Difficult position - on the one hand, the recent correspondence has sometimes been quite thought provoking, mildly amusing and constructive, on the other hand, at worst it has been mindless, tiresome and destructive.
>
> Over the years, I can count on one hand the number of times I've deleted (non-spam) messages from esteemed group members (i.e. all of you), and seldom banned anyone. That's been a largely successful policy, borne of a desire to give everyone a chance to air their views, even if they go a bit loopy or OT on occasion. I'm sure we're all happy to see discussions that open us up to new ideas, or non bike related topics from time to time.
>
> However, when members who have never contributed before - on any topic -decide to join in the futile argument and fan the flames, rather than divert the conversation to something interesting, I begin to despair.
>
> Irrelevant rubbish will therefore temporarily be removed, pending resumption of normal discussions.
>
> Apologies, no desire to ban or censor. It's in your hands.
>
> Regards
> Martin

Re: Message from moderator

Jon Miccolis
I feel your pain!  I have a 2000 RE Bullet 500 ks/rhs and a 2005 Kawasaki
KLR650.  Both thumpers but one is a 4 speed, right side shift, one up and
three down and the other a 5 speed, left side shift, one down four up.

I don't have any practical advice other than to be hyper-attentive for the
first few miles until the pattern again becomes more intuitive than
anything.  That and just keep repeating the applicable arrangement/pattern
to yourself just as a reminder.

Best of luck!

-Jon

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Charles Hammer
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> **
>

> Thank you.  Maybe now we can talk a bit about bikes.
>
> Heres a start.  Ive now owned a 1950 Model G for about 6 months.  As I
> live in Washington State (USA) and most of my riding since highschool has
> been on American bikes ( I am 62 years old), I am having trouble switching
> to a bike with the brake on the left foot and shifter on the right. I have
> not taken any long runs yet, mostly to the store and back where there is
> very little traffic so I can concentrate on which foot to use when. I guess
> the other trick will be to stay off my Sporty for now and just get used to
> the RE.  Any one else gone thru this and have any suggestions besides 'BE
> CAREFUL'?
>

> Sent from my iPad

Re: Message from moderator

Bullet-3
Hi Charles,

Yeah do be careful, changing gears with the brake or jumping on the gears to stop is, well a buggar for sure.

I am often changing from left to right side gears on various bikes that i test ride, thank god they are 5 speed as 4 speed is not my friend.  The first 10 mins are a little tricky and then about an hour after that we slip back into fuddle land. its frustration and embarrassing but at least with the 4 speed there is the neutral finder to stomp on when the big ahhhhh comes along.

Maybe it is like auto and stick shift, we have to mental change the gears, think now, this, then that and off we go.  Chunk it down and it is really like learning to ride again until you are just flying and leaning and purring.

Chris

--- In [hidden email], Charles Hammer <capthammer2003@...> wrote:

> Thank you.  Maybe now we can talk a bit about bikes.
>
> Heres a start.  Ive now owned a 1950 Model G for about 6 months.  As I live in Washington State (USA) and most of my riding since highschool has been on American bikes ( I am 62 years old), I am having trouble switching to a bike with the brake on the left foot and shifter on the right. I have not taken any long runs yet, mostly to the store and back where there is very little traffic so I can concentrate on which foot to use when. I guess the other trick will be to stay off my Sporty for now and just get used to the RE.  Any one else gone thru this and have any suggestions besides 'BE CAREFUL'?
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Nov 24, 2012, at 7:55, krimurali@... wrote:
>
> > Simply wow!!!
> >
> > Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
> > From: "umrcc" <manorfarmrd@...>
> > Sender: [hidden email]
> > Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:52:04 -0000
> > To: <[hidden email]>
> > ReplyTo: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Enfield] Message from moderator
> >

> > Difficult position - on the one hand, the recent correspondence has sometimes been quite thought provoking, mildly amusing and constructive, on the other hand, at worst it has been mindless, tiresome and destructive.
> >
> > Over the years, I can count on one hand the number of times I've deleted (non-spam) messages from esteemed group members (i.e. all of you), and seldom banned anyone. That's been a largely successful policy, borne of a desire to give everyone a chance to air their views, even if they go a bit loopy or OT on occasion. I'm sure we're all happy to see discussions that open us up to new ideas, or non bike related topics from time to time.
> >
> > However, when members who have never contributed before - on any topic -decide to join in the futile argument and fan the flames, rather than divert the conversation to something interesting, I begin to despair.
> >
> > Irrelevant rubbish will therefore temporarily be removed, pending resumption of normal discussions.
> >
> > Apologies, no desire to ban or censor. It's in your hands.
> >
> > Regards
> > Martin

Right side shift

Rick Ferguson
Jon, I'm the same age as you, and I have bikes with gear levers on both sides, and even different patterns among those that shift on the same side. It hasn't been a problem for me to accommodate them.  The character of the bikes and hoe they are used is unique enough to each machine that my head immediately twigs it.  "OK, this is the Bullet" and we're in Bullet mode.  Of course I don't ride around with hair on fire any more, but it isn't a problem once you get used to the bike.  Get some miles on the RE!

Cheers
Rick F

Sent from my iPad

I am having trouble switching to a bike with the brake on the left foot and shifter on the right. I have not taken any long runs yet, mostly to the store and back where there is very little traffic so I can concentrate on which foot to use when. I guess the other trick will be to stay off my Sporty for now and just get used to the RE.  Any one else gone thru this and have any suggestions besides 'BE CAREFUL'?

Re: Message from moderator

Patrick Tooke
Charles
What part of the state, I'm in Seattle.
I have found no matter which bike I take out,
if I hit the brake hard as I roll down the driveway, it sort of sets my brain
to right or left for the day.
On Nov 24, 2012, at 9:02 AM, Charles Hammer wrote:

> Thank you.  Maybe now we can talk a bit about bikes.
>
> Heres a start.  Ive now owned a 1950 Model G for about 6 months.  As I live in Washington State (USA) and most of my riding since highschool has been on American bikes ( I am 62 years old), I am having trouble switching to a bike with the brake on the left foot and shifter on the right. I have not taken any long runs yet, mostly to the store and back where there is very little traffic so I can concentrate on which foot to use when. I guess the other trick will be to stay off my Sporty for now and just get used to the RE.  Any one else gone thru this and have any suggestions besides 'BE CAREFUL'?
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Nov 24, 2012, at 7:55, [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> Simply wow!!!
>>
>> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
>> From: "umrcc" <[hidden email]>
>> Sender: [hidden email]
>> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:52:04 -0000
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>> ReplyTo: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Enfield] Message from moderator
>>

>> Difficult position - on the one hand, the recent correspondence has sometimes been quite thought provoking, mildly amusing and constructive, on the other hand, at worst it has been mindless, tiresome and destructive.
>>
>> Over the years, I can count on one hand the number of times I've deleted (non-spam) messages from esteemed group members (i.e. all of you), and seldom banned anyone. That's been a largely successful policy, borne of a desire to give everyone a chance to air their views, even if they go a bit loopy or OT on occasion. I'm sure we're all happy to see discussions that open us up to new ideas, or non bike related topics from time to time.
>>
>> However, when members who have never contributed before - on any topic -decide to join in the futile argument and fan the flames, rather than divert the conversation to something interesting, I begin to despair.
>>
>> Irrelevant rubbish will therefore temporarily be removed, pending resumption of normal discussions.
>>
>> Apologies, no desire to ban or censor. It's in your hands.
>>
>> Regards
>> Martin

Re: Message from moderator

Vinci Raposo
So?

________________________________

Re: Left Brake Right Brake

P Snidal

>Heres a start.  Ive now owned a 1950 Model G for about 6 months.  As
>I live in Washington State (USA) and most of my riding since
>highschool has been on American bikes ( I am 62 years old), I am
>having trouble switching to a bike with the brake on the left foot
>and shifter on the right. I have not taken any long runs yet, mostly
>to the store and back where there is very little traffic so I can
>concentrate on which foot to use when. I guess the other trick will
>be to stay off my Sporty for now and just get used to the RE.  Any
>one else gone thru this and have any suggestions besides 'BE CAREFUL'?

I've been dealing with this one all my life.  First foot-shift I rode
regularly was a CZ 125 with a sidecar.  Left Shift.  Other than that,
it was mostly Brits shifting on the side God intended, but with the
odd NSU and such into the mix.  It can be confusing, especially in
the clinches.

A habit I developed is this:  EVERY time I start a motorcycle and
move off, I tap the brake a half-dozen times - usually just enough to
slow it down a bit.  Idea is I think I'm rebooting my braking
programme.  I've found that the times I do that, there are fewer
instances of bashing the gear lever when I'm panicking about braking
in a hurry.

Good luck with it!
ps

RE: Message from moderator

Jon Tait
Hi Martin,

            As a long-time lurker & occasional poster to the group I'd like
to put my two-bob's worth to you, rather than to the group, so as not to fan
the embers.

            I've watched Al's progress as a group member from one who would
offer occasional well-meant but rather school-teacherly advice on electrical
issues to his more recent offerings which seem largely aimed at stirring
things up. I had first hand experience of this last year in a spat involving
Leon Stanley, which resulted in him leaving the group.

            The current flare-up has its roots in Al offering a free manual
to group members, a manual I'm pretty sure he doesn't own the copyright or
distribution rights to, so likely to be illegal activity. This morphed into
him taking a pop at Pete's manual & having a go at Tim. The pattern seems to
be for him to take shots at established, regular contributors of helpful
advice with the aim of riling them into either leaving themselves or getting
them expelled.

            If you weigh the scales of positive & negative contributions for
the likes of Pete, Leon, Tim and others they all contribute much more to the
group than Al. I think the man is a sociopath, and his aim is to establish
himself at the top of the tree by eliminating what he sees as the
competition. I've seen it before on-line; it's behaviour that wouldn't be
tolerated in the real world.

            It's your forum, your ball, but I think the single thing you
could do to improve the long-term harmony of the group would be to expel Al.
In losing Tim we have lost a well-respected contributor with a broad
knowledge of our bikes, which is a shame. Al is driving the good guys away.

            Good luck with it, I appreciate what you do & don't envy you!

Cheers, Jon.

  _____

[...]

Click here
<https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/MZbqvYs5QwJvpeaetUwhCQ==
1rxxGV286h0dBzij3evdNb0kWYTqkrb3KeH4!zzvzA==>  to report this email as spam.

This HTML message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl -
www.blackspider.com

This plain text message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl - www.blackspider.com

If you are not the intended recipient it may be unlawful for you to read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use the information in this e-mail; please return the e-mail to the sender and immediately permanently delete it and any attachments. The sender does not accept liability for any data corruption, interception or unauthorised amendment to which e-mail may be susceptible, or the consequences thereof. Opinions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of AP Racing Ltd are neither given nor endorsed by it.

Whilst AP Racing Ltd take reasonable care to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail does not contain software viruses, this cannot be guaranteed and you should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

AP Racing Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability for any damage that you suffer as a result of software viruses.