New To The Forum

FREAK-3
Hi everyone!  My name is Scottie.  I live in Denver, CO and I just recently picked up a 1958 Indian Trailblazer 700cc.  It's the Enfield equivalent of a Constellation 700cc.  I plan on doing a custom restoration including new paint and rewiring the entire bike with a modern 12v system and maybe some custom lights.

Currently I'm having trouble setting the timing on this bike.  The magneto seems to be a unique design and I can't figure out how to move the points plate.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/lethalinj/CAM00594.jpg[/IMG]

Re: New To The Forum

P Snidal

>  I just recently picked up a 1958 Indian Trailblazer 700cc.  It's
> the Enfield equivalent of a Constellation 700cc.  I plan on doing a
> custom restoration including new paint and rewiring the entire bike
> with a modern 12v system

If it has a Lucas Dynamo, that may be a problem. Getting the 6V
Dynamo to put out enough power at 12V+ may be a bit difficult.  If it
will, though, then you'll just have to use a 12V regulator with it.

>Currently I'm having trouble setting the timing on this bike.  The
>magneto seems to be a unique design and I can't figure out how to
>move the points plate.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't believe the points plate will move.  I'm not familiar with
the specific system supplied on the '58 Indian-badged Enfield twins,
but I'd imagine it's a centrifugal advance on the drive inside the
timing cover, yes? And that model of magneto had no adjustment of
timing other than slight variations by changing point
settings.  Slightly.  Setting the ignition timing is done by breaking
the drive taper between mag shaft and auto-advance unit and
re-setting it with engine properly positioned and points at the
just-opening position.

Don't know if this helps, have fun with it.
There's also another yahoogroup for Enfield big twins.  You may be
interested in looking around for it.  Constellation may be a keyword...

ps