New owner introduction essay

Patrick Tooke
I learned to ride in the army in Germany, 1971.
And brought back a new Triumph Bonneville.
That's the start of a long and winding road.
Three weeks ago I bought my  06 Iron barrel Bullet  ES with 1600mi. As I parked it today it reads 2105mi.  Just enough time and mileage to form an opinion, I'm keeping it!!!!
When I rode it home it had a lot of rattling and buzzing going on. Found a bolt missing on a fender stay, broken chain guard mount, and the primary chain very loose. 50w oil keeps the valve noise down.
I did make a mistake by putting ATF in the primary.
About that time I GPS'd my speedo (2 ½ mi off at 30-40-50 indicated) And noticed something I couldn't figure out.
Not a vibration, sort of a resonating growl.
The bike developed way too many neutrals, like everywhere.
I thought the springs in the trany were weak.
Talked to Vince about it and he said go back to 20-50,
before buying any parts. That did it. Although 2nd seems to have a mind of its own, a heel toe shifter helps that.
I've been reading posts from three continents, and the other night read yet another breather mod. I had noticed the tumor on the left side case under the barrel.  Yesterday I did that mod and started out today for a short spin. But right away I could tell the breather fix was just what the doctor ordered, it cured that growl, the motor isn't fighting that crank case pressure. My quick trip ended up in Sumner for a sandwich and three hours later after 60mi -smiling. I'm sold I'm keeping this Bullet, and keeping the 6.5 to 1 compression.
I've been studying the wiring diagram -it is what it is.
If I have one i-o-t-a of a problem it goes in the trash, I'll wire it like a Triumph.
I do have a question about the yahoo groups, how do you get into the archives to read up?
Thanks Pat in Seattle

Re: New owner introduction essay

Gerry-43
Hi Pat,

discovered the joy's of Enfielding earlier this year, when I purchased a
non running 1990 350cc classic. The idea was to remove the non running
engine & convert the bike to diesel power, however my curiosity got the
better of me & I just had to find out why it wasn't running. I hit lucky
& found it was only a broken inlet pushrod, after fitting a new one it
fired up 2nd kick. Bugger its now to good to pull apart for my
conversion project, whilst looking for something more suitable i.e a
basket case I was offered a 1996 500 classic with just 7000 miles on the
clock. It was hard to start & didn't run very well according to its
owner, convinced that all it needed was a quick tune up I purchased it
for a future cafe racer project. Then I found a much more suitable
project bike on a well known auction site for conversion, so within 6
months I went from an idea for a project to owning 3 of them !.

Being into Brit bikes & 70's classic Italian bikes as well these fit
right into my stable, I have set up a simple website to follow the
progress of my conversion & here's a link if you are
interestedhttp://rodneythedieselenfield.webs.com/ go have a look.

Anyway getting back to you original point about breather mods, which one
in particular did you utilise on your bike as I think I'm having
breather problems with my 500.

Cheers, Gerry

Re: New owner introduction essay

umrcc
Hi Pat

Ref accessing the "Archives" - well its really just the individual messages at the usual message location:

Select <oldest> to go back to the first ever message and work your way through - or search for a topic, or specify a message number. Have a play around, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Regards
Martin