Oil leak from gear shaft - Classic 500

herambnaria
Hi,

My C5 has been leaking oil from the gear shaft since first servicing.
4 servicings gave been done and each time the guy has changed the oil seal but problem reappears after  a few 100 km or so...

any idea why this might be or how else i should rectify the same ..

regards ... Heramb

Re: Oil leak from gear shaft - Classic 500

P Snidal

>4 servicings gave been done and each time the guy has changed the
>oil seal but problem reappears after  a few 100 km or so...
>any idea why this might be or how else i should rectify the same ..

Four possibilities come to mind:
1.  Misalignment between shaft and seal recess in cover
2.  Scoring or scarring of shaft where it fits through the seal
3,  Mechanic sourcing the wrong seals (unlikely after 3 tries, but....)
4.  Leakage occurring between seal and case rather than between shaft
and seal (also
      unlikely)
5.  Inner shaft bushing (inside cases - inside end of shaft)
alignment wrong - this one
      would be very unlikely, but you never know.

Not necessarily in that order....
ps www.enfield.20m.com

kick start pawl on a bullet 4 speed gear box

Patrick Theo

Hey group
I am currently replacing the kick start pawl on a bullet 4 speed gear box (left shift, 500cc made in 1995).
So far I have removed the outer cover and am in the process of removing the inner cover from the gear box.
I have undo the two nuts that secure the foot control stop plate and I have remove the washer , I have lift the stop plate away (part 67).
However am facing difficulties removing the inner rachet (part 66).
I have tried to lift away part 66 either by engaging 1st gear or by having a neutral gear but no luck.
Please assist
Thanks
Pat

Re: kick start pawl on a bullet 4 speed gear box

P Snidal
At 05:07 AM 8/9/2012, you wrote:
>have tried to lift away part 66 either by engaging 1st gear or by
>having a neutral gear but no luck.

66 just fits on the square shifter shaft with nothing really holding
it there, once the stop plate 67 is out of the way.  It should just
slide off the end of the shifter shaft 46.  Are you ensuring that any
force you're using is symmetrical on the shaft?
ps www.enfield.20m.com

Re: kick start pawl on a bullet 4 speed gear box

Patrick Theo
 Thanks , shall I try to pull it out again by engaging any gear or should it be on neutral??

ps http://www.enfield.20m.com/

Re: kick start pawl on a bullet 4 speed gear box

Patrick Theo

and something else ...after removing part 67 I’ve tried to pull out part 63 +62 (holding them together) hoping that 66 will come along

 Thanks , shall I try to pull it out again by engaging any gear or should it be on neutral??

>have tried to lift away part 66 either by engaging 1st gear or by
>having a neutral gear but no luck.

66 just fits on the square shifter shaft with nothing really holding
it there, once the stop plate 67 is out of the way. It should just
slide off the end of the shifter shaft 46. Are you ensuring that any
force you're using is symmetrical on the shaft?
ps http://www.enfield.20m.com/

kick starting problem

Patrick Theo
Hey group
After a long & tiring afternoon spent replacing a broken kick start pawl am facing a new challenge now, after 8-9 kicks my 500 bullet has fired but when opening the throttle the engine died Instantly, I have again made a long kick the bike fired but again when I’ve opened up the throttle the engine died, this happened 3-4 times...then I decided to put it away and seek for an advice.
Any idea what seems to be the problem?
NOTE:the bike was sitting for some months now, since January and back then I had the air filter and the carb intake hose replaced.
Regards
Patrick

>have tried to lift away part 66 either by engaging 1st gear or by
>having a neutral gear but no luck.

66 just fits on the square shifter shaft with nothing really holding
it there, once the stop plate 67 is out of the way. It should just
slide off the end of the shifter shaft 46. Are you ensuring that any
force you're using is symmetrical on the shaft?
ps http://www.enfield.20m.com/

Re: kick starting problem

Rick Ferguson
Air leak or fuel starvation

Cheers
Rick F

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 10, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Patrick Theo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey group
> After a long & tiring afternoon spent replacing a broken kick start pawl am facing a new challenge now, after 8-9 kicks my 500 bullet has fired but when opening the throttle the engine died Instantly, I have again made a long kick the bike fired but again when I’ve opened up the throttle the engine died, this happened 3-4 times...then I decided to put it away and seek for an advice.
> Any idea what seems to be the problem?
> NOTE: the bike was sitting for some months now, since January and back then I had the air filter and the carb intake hose replaced.
> Regards
> Patrick

Re: kick starting problem

Charles Warner
Fuel starvation maybe caused by a sticky float or an obstruction in the pilot curcuit.

Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/
Visit The Patriot Shop
http://PatriotShop.US/

________________________________
On Aug 10, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Patrick Theo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey group
>After a long & tiring afternoon spent replacing a broken kick start pawl am facing a new challenge now, after 8-9 kicks my 500 bullet has fired but when opening the throttle the engine died Instantly, I have again made a long kick the bike fired but again when I’ve opened up the throttle the engine died, this happened 3-4 times...then I decided to put it away and seek for an advice.
>Any idea what seems to be the problem?
>NOTE:the bike was sitting for some months now, since January and back then I had the air filter and the carb intake hose replaced.
>Regards
>Patrick

Re: kick starting problem

William Fanjoy
although my 06 iron barrel needs to be warmed up for at least 3 minutes before you can full throttle.  if you open her up before then, she'll cut out, and the jets and float are perfect.

Bill

________________________________

On Aug 10, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Patrick Theo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey group
>After a long & tiring afternoon spent replacing a broken kick start pawl am facing a new challenge now, after 8-9 kicks my 500 bullet has fired but when opening the throttle the engine died Instantly, I have again made a long kick the bike fired but again when I’ve opened up the throttle the engine died, this happened 3-4 times...then I decided to put it away and seek for an advice.
>Any idea what seems to be the problem?
>NOTE:the bike was sitting for some months now, since January and back then I had the air filter and the carb intake hose replaced.
>Regards
>Patrick

Re: kick starting problem

na0512
Hi, Had the same problem. Strongly suggest it's an air leak so check the car mounting hose and the air filter hose (Miku carb). Start working from the outside in to save hassle and eliminate the easy fix problems first.
although my 06 iron barrel needs to be warmed up for at least 3 minutes before you can full throttle.  if you open her up before then, she'll cut out, and the jets and float are perfect.

Bill

Re: kick starting problem

NYCBSAers
-9 kicks my 500 bullet has fired but when opening the throttle the engine
died Instantly, I have again made a long kick the bike fired but again when I
’ve  opened up the throttle the engine died, this happened 3-4 times...then
I decided  to put it away and seek for an advice.
Any idea what seems to be the  problem?

__________________________________

It's you.  Once it fires DO NOT GIVE IT ANY THROTTLE.   Just let it come up
to idle naturally, maybe a minute or so.

Marty

Re: kick starting problem

Bullet-3
Well I hate these bikes with a vengeance when they don't start, love the electronic ignition that we fit, then my leg is happy.

My starting procedure is:

Make sure the the kick starter end is adjusted to be minimum of 1" before the frame bolt, that is back towards the rear. 2 reasons, gets the bloody thing away from the foot when riding and so much easier to kick start.

Rotate throttle 5 times if the engine has not been running for a while, 2 if it is still warm. Do not touch it while kicking with a CI engine.

Decompress and move the kick down to the vertical and then bring the heel up to just above centre of the silencer and immediately push the kick down and fully (no half kicks), hold for a second to feel the rotation and then release.

Give the slightest amount of throttle, or just make sure that the idle screw is set a fraction fast, slow thumping will help one to stall at the intersections.

Leave the engine to warm up, feel the head, when it is warm then it is ready to have more revs and riding.

So the logic of electronic ignition and why it makes the engine start easier.
A stronger more definite clean and predictable spark.

The EI kit sold by RE is only suitable for 350cc, when fitted to a 500cc it is still a 5+ kick.
The quality of the coil is important and the RE unit uses the std Lucas coil which may just be an issue on 500cc.

There are only 2 things that stop the bike from running well, fuel or spark.  If the carb is fine, then the spark is off.

Chris

--- In [hidden email], nycBSAers@... wrote:

> -9 kicks my 500 bullet has fired but when opening the throttle the engine
> died Instantly, I have again made a long kick the bike fired but again when I
> ’ve  opened up the throttle the engine died, this happened 3-4 times...then
> I decided  to put it away and seek for an advice.
> Any idea what seems to be the  problem?
>
> __________________________________
>
> It's you.  Once it fires DO NOT GIVE IT ANY THROTTLE.   Just let it come up
> to idle naturally, maybe a minute or so.
>
> Marty

2nd gear

Patrick Theo
Hey group,

When I shift to go to 2nd gear I have to press the gear pedal really hard
(even twice) does anyone knows what seem to be the problem.
Bike is a LH, 4speed, 1995 model 500cc
Thanks

________________________________

Re: 2nd gear

Rick Ferguson

On 9/14/2012 3:11 PM, Patrick Theo wrote:

> When I shift to go to 2nd gear I have to press the gear pedal really
> hard (even twice) does anyone knows what seem to be the problem.
> Bike is a LH, 4speed, 1995 model 500cc

Most likely a dragging clutch.  Adjust your cable so it frees off and
see how it goes.  There is a fine (sometimes very fine!) line between
dragging and slipping.  You may also want to inspect your clutch plates
if you haven't seen them in a while; they should be perfectly flat, not
warped, no notches on the tangs or the clutch center.

Cheers
Rick F

Re: Oil leak from gear shaft - Classic 500

zakk_paul

--- In [hidden email], "herambnaria" <heramb.naria@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My C5 has been leaking oil from the gear shaft since first servicing.
> 4 servicings gave been done and each time the guy has changed the oil seal but problem reappears after  a few 100 km or so...
>
> any idea why this might be or how else i should rectify the same ..
>
> regards ... Heramb
>too much oil in the gear box may cause leakage of oil
pliz check ur labeling and try it .