Quantcast

Spark plug turning black every 7 days

Regan Luis
Hi everyone,

I bought my first bike, a 1972 Standard Bullet 350, only about a month ago. The bike is in decent condition and the engine runs great. The only trouble is that my spark plug keeps turning black every 7 days. This in turn leads to starting problems and stalling in traffic while in first or second gear. I've just put in my second new spark plug in three weeks on Saturday and am waiting to see if there's any change.

The mechanic, who has been adjusting the carburetor settings for the past few weeks, says he may have to open the engine head to check for wear and tear in the piston, valves, etc. if the problem isn't resolved.

What do you think, is the problem that serious? I've read that the problem may be due to running an air/fuel mixture that's too rich. Trouble is I'm new to this and wouldn't know where to begin tweaking these settings. [Gurunandan promises me that my Pete Snidal manual will be in the mail this week.]

Till then, could someone give me a few pointers and also recommend a reliable mechanic in Bombay (Mumbai) that I can show the bike to?

Cheers,
Regan

Re: Spark plug turning black every 7 days

victortrry
I don't know what type of spark plugs you use in India,but its a phenomenon by which carbon accumulating at the firing end causes electrical leakage and then misfiring.  Causes , improper carburetor adjustment, defective choke, long idling, continuous low speed operation. You should occasionally drive under high speed conditions approximately 80 kpm or more to ensure the spark plugs reach their self cleaning temperature.

Cictor

Re: Spark plug turning black every 7 days

Dave Murray-2
Regan,
Black plug fouling can be caused by bad rings or valve guides, allowing oil to get into the combustion chamber, but fuel mixture fouling is far more common.  Rich mixture forms a dryish, sooty deposit, where oil fouling is usually tarry.
Always do the cheap thing first. Rich mixture can be caused by incorrect jetting,worn carb needle, mis-set low speed screw, or a leaking enrichment assembly ( the Micarb doesn't have a true choke, but an enrichment device.) I would rebuild the carb long before I would start taking the top end off the engine. It's an oldish bike, but the top end may already have been rebuilt. If you have good compression, it's unlikely to be oil fouling.
I would ask every Bullet owner you meet if he knows a good mechanic. If two or three mention the same guy, I'd give him a try.
Getting Pete's manual is a GOOD move.
Good luck,
DWM

--- In [hidden email], "Regan Luis" <reganluis@...> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I bought my first bike, a 1972 Standard Bullet 350, only about a month ago. The bike is in decent condition and the engine runs great. The only trouble is that my spark plug keeps turning black every 7 days. This in turn leads to starting problems and stalling in traffic while in first or second gear. I've just put in my second new spark plug in three weeks on Saturday and am waiting to see if there's any change.
>
> The mechanic, who has been adjusting the carburetor settings for the past few weeks, says he may have to open the engine head to check for wear and tear in the piston, valves, etc. if the problem isn't resolved.
>
> What do you think, is the problem that serious? I've read that the problem may be due to running an air/fuel mixture that's too rich. Trouble is I'm new to this and wouldn't know where to begin tweaking these settings. [Gurunandan promises me that my Pete Snidal manual will be in the mail this week.]
>
> Till then, could someone give me a few pointers and also recommend a reliable mechanic in Bombay (Mumbai) that I can show the bike to?
>
> Cheers,
> Regan

Re: Spark plug turning black every 7 days

umrcc
If you're spending a lot of time in slow traffic, as a first step, try changing to a hotter plug. It may be that the plug is simply never reaching the temperature it needs to burn off the sooty deposits that can accumulate at tickover speeds.

Regards
Martin

--- In [hidden email], "glssgrg" <redhawk34@...> wrote:

> Regan,
> Black plug fouling can be caused by bad rings or valve guides, allowing oil to get into the combustion chamber, but fuel mixture fouling is far more common.  Rich mixture forms a dryish, sooty deposit, where oil fouling is usually tarry.
> Always do the cheap thing first. Rich mixture can be caused by incorrect jetting,worn carb needle, mis-set low speed screw, or a leaking enrichment assembly ( the Micarb doesn't have a true choke, but an enrichment device.) I would rebuild the carb long before I would start taking the top end off the engine. It's an oldish bike, but the top end may already have been rebuilt. If you have good compression, it's unlikely to be oil fouling.
> I would ask every Bullet owner you meet if he knows a good mechanic. If two or three mention the same guy, I'd give him a try.
> Getting Pete's manual is a GOOD move.
> Good luck,
> DWM
>

> --- In [hidden email], "Regan Luis" <reganluis@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I bought my first bike, a 1972 Standard Bullet 350, only about a month ago. The bike is in decent condition and the engine runs great. The only trouble is that my spark plug keeps turning black every 7 days. This in turn leads to starting problems and stalling in traffic while in first or second gear. I've just put in my second new spark plug in three weeks on Saturday and am waiting to see if there's any change.
> >
> > The mechanic, who has been adjusting the carburetor settings for the past few weeks, says he may have to open the engine head to check for wear and tear in the piston, valves, etc. if the problem isn't resolved.
> >
> > What do you think, is the problem that serious? I've read that the problem may be due to running an air/fuel mixture that's too rich. Trouble is I'm new to this and wouldn't know where to begin tweaking these settings. [Gurunandan promises me that my Pete Snidal manual will be in the mail this week.]
> >
> > Till then, could someone give me a few pointers and also recommend a reliable mechanic in Bombay (Mumbai) that I can show the bike to?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Regan

Re: Spark plug turning black every 7 days

Arvinder sINGH gREWAL
hi regan luis,
dont open head /cylinder just adjust the mixture screw on the carburator , i,m from delhi india u can call me on my cell i,ll gide u its easy u can do your self .my number is 09810557632.
i,m restoring g2 models and have worked on lot of royal enfields models.

best regards
arvinder

Re: Spark plug turning black every 7 days

Pete Snidal

>[Gurunandan promises me that my Pete Snidal manual will be in the
>mail this week.]

All you need to know will be in there.  It will be carburetor
adjustment - pilot jet AND/OR throttle needle height, or oil getting
past the intake valve guide or piston rings.  Might be stoppable by
using one range hotter spark plug. Watch the latter if you're using
it on the highway.  Around town, a range or even two hotter will work fine.

hang in there - help is on the way...,

Re: Spark plug turning black every 7 days

Regan Luis
I can't thank everyone enough for all the great advice!

The compression seems pretty good and there's no smoke coming out of
the exhaust, so like you suggest, the problem may lie in the carburetor. I will take a closer look at the settings and let you know how things progress. In India, I've only come across the Mico/Bosch carb for the Bullet, but I will check with the spare parts guy about getting a hotter one.

Arvinder, I will take you up on your offer once I have my screwdriver in hand!

Thanks once again, all you guys!

Cheers,
Regan

________________________________
>[Gurunandan promises me that my Pete Snidal manual will be in the
>mail this week.]

All you need to know will be in there.  It will be carburetor
adjustment - pilot jet AND/OR throttle needle height, or oil getting
past the intake valve guide or piston rings.  Might be stoppable by
using one range hotter spark plug. Watch the latter if you're using
it on the highway.  Around town, a range or even two hotter will work fine.

hang in there - help is on the way...,

Re: Whoa!

Pete Snidal

>In India, I've only come across the Mico/Bosch carb for the Bullet,
>but I will check with the spare parts guy about getting a hotter one.

if you mean carburetor, slow down!  We meant spark plug!

Re: Whoa!

Regan Luis
Sorry, my mistake. I meant spark plug too.

________________________________
>In India, I've only come across the Mico/Bosch carb for the Bullet,
>but I will check with the spare parts guy about getting a hotter one.

if you mean carburetor, slow down!  We meant spark plug!

Re: Whoa!

Peter Maggiacomo
Hey Guys... I'm new to Enfields.... what do you think of the new 09 model ?
Pete

            Sorry, my mistake. I meant spark plug too.

____________ _________ _________ __

>In India, I've only come across the Mico/Bosch carb for the Bullet,

>but I will check with the spare parts guy about getting a hotter one.

if you mean carburetor, slow down!  We meant spark plug!

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/

Re: Spark plug turning black every 7 days

VijayKumar_hyd
Hi Regan,

I own a 78 model since couple of years. I had been facing the issue of my bike stopping suddently when trying to change the gears and its a big pain in the wrong place..Now, that I got all the worn out parts change and its in great condition except for the same old issue.. :(.

Since that you have worked on this issue, I would like to know if your bike used to make a small pssskk... kind of noise before it stopped. Please let me know if anything is not so clear. I would be waiting with lots of hope.. :)

Thanks in adavance..!!

Cheers..!
Vijay