Tank sticker / transfer comming off

mauro784032
Hya,

the 'Royal Enfield' sticker/transfer on my tank is pealing off and I wanted to ask for recommendations on fixing it.  I'm aware that for a proper job I would probably have to redo the whole tank.  But I'm more looking for a quick'n'dirty option.

My plan is be: clean underneath the sticker, where it had already pealed off (what cleaner should I use?). Then re-glue the the pealed off parts back on the tank (what glue should I use).  Once dry, I'll put some clear lacquer over the whole tank.

I've never done any paint work, so is that a good plan or likely to fail?  Whilst on the tank-topic: I got some brown petrol stains on my tank (silver tank), is there any way to remove them?

Thanks for your input,

mauro

Re: Tank sticker / transfer comming off

malfisher500
--- In [hidden email], "Mauro" <humba61@...> wrote:
> the 'Royal Enfield' sticker/transfer on my tank is pealing off and I wanted to ask for recommendations on fixing it.  I'm aware that for a proper job I would probably have to redo the whole tank.  But I'm more looking for a quick'n'dirty option.

> mauro

I'd use a contact adhesive such as Bostik, it dries, then you press onto it firmly and it sticks. You could also use silicon, or superglue, the problem with super glue is that you need to hold it down the few seconds till it sticks firm, and then you may well be stuck to the tank!

Malc

Re: Tank sticker / transfer comming off

mauro784032
I restuck the tank sticker with super glue, managed (only just) too keep my fingers from sticking. I removed the varnish from on top of all of the stickers as it was flacking off.  And revarnished with spray can clear varnish.  Here is were I made the mistake: the normal varnish I used is soluble in petrol, this is a bad characteristic for something being on the fuel tank...

Question: there is petrol proof spray can varnish, is it any good, anything I need to watch out for? And do I first remove the other (now stained) varnish? With petrol ;-)

thanks,
mauro

--- In [hidden email], "Malcolm Fisher" <malfisher@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Mauro" <humba61@> wrote:
> > the 'Royal Enfield' sticker/transfer on my tank is pealing off and I wanted to ask for recommendations on fixing it.  I'm aware that for a proper job I would probably have to redo the whole tank.  But I'm more looking for a quick'n'dirty option.
>
> > mauro
> >

> I'd use a contact adhesive such as Bostik, it dries, then you press onto it firmly and it sticks. You could also use silicon, or superglue, the problem with super glue is that you need to hold it down the few seconds till it sticks firm, and then you may well be stuck to the tank!
>
> Malc

Re: Re: Tank sticker / transfer comming off

Derek H. Wood
Hi Mauro.

I'm currently looking at model aircraft two pack fuel proofer, in an effort to solve exactly the same problem.

I have bought 150Ml 'FLEXIKOTE', but because of the current weather, have not had the opportunity to use it.  I'm currently praying for a warm, dry, windless day and don't seem to be getting through to the Gods of  the Weather.  (Pluvious reigns supreme it seems).

Enjoy your day.

Regards.

I.H.D. - (Derek)

    I restuck the tank sticker with super glue, managed (only just) too keep my fingers from sticking. I removed the varnish from on top of all of the stickers as it was flacking off. And revarnished with spray can clear varnish. Here is were I made the mistake: the normal varnish I used is soluble in petrol, this is a bad characteristic for something being on the fuel tank...

  Question: there is petrol proof spray can varnish, is it any good, anything I need to watch out for? And do I first remove the other (now stained) varnish? With petrol ;-)

  thanks,
  mauro

  --- In [hidden email], "Malcolm Fisher" <malfisher@...> wrote:

  > --- In [hidden email], "Mauro" <humba61@> wrote:
  > > the 'Royal Enfield' sticker/transfer on my tank is pealing off and I wanted to ask for recommendations on fixing it. I'm aware that for a proper job I would probably have to redo the whole tank. But I'm more looking for a quick'n'dirty option.
  >
  > > mauro
  > >
  >
  > I'd use a contact adhesive such as Bostik, it dries, then you press onto it firmly and it sticks. You could also use silicon, or superglue, the problem with super glue is that you need to hold it down the few seconds till it sticks firm, and then you may well be stuck to the tank!
  >
  > Malc

Re: Re: Tank sticker / transfer comming off

Rick Ferguson

Derek H. Wood wrote:

> I'm currently looking at model aircraft two pack fuel proofer, in an
> effort to solve exactly the same problem.

Derek, this sounds promising. Do let us know how it works out. I have
the same problem with decals on alloy tanks.

Cheers
Rick F

Re: Re: Tank sticker / transfer comming off

Derek H. Wood
Hi Damon.

My tank is also aluminium.  I plan to remove the existing transfers, thoroughly clean and polish the tank, then cleanse the transfer area with an appropriate de-greaser.  Then re-apply my new transfers, prior to doing the fuel proofing.  I can't at the moment think of a really effective way of masking off the necessary area around the transfer area, though I've been told that electricians plastic insulating tape leaves a better finishing 'edge', than conventional masking tape.  (Maybe we have a coach painter amongst the group, or an experienced model maker who could advise)?

Enjoy your evening.

Regards.

I.H.D. - (Derek).

Derek H. Wood wrote:

> My tank is also aluminium.  I plan to remove the existing transfers,
> thoroughly clean and polish the tank, then cleanse the transfer area
> with an appropriate de-greaser.  Then re-apply my new transfers,
> prior to doing the fuel proofing.  I can't at the moment think of a
> really effective way of masking off the necessary area around the
> transfer area, though I've been told that electricians plastic
> insulating tape leaves a better finishing 'edge', than conventional
> masking tape.

I have followed the process you describe, except using varnish instead
of fuel proofer, applied freehand by artist's brush (sadly the brush
operator - moi - is no artist). I extended the varnish about 3/16"
beyond the edge of the transfer, and applied a second coat after the
first one dried. I decided my hand-painted edge would look better than a
hard edge from a tape mask, but this is down to the owner's preference.

The job looked fine for several months. I was careful to avoid spilling
fuel on the varnished transfers, but with a Monza cap some inevitably
escapes from time to time. One day half of one of the transfers simply
flaked off. Bugger. I think varnish is good for all applications except
near the fuel filler; possibly our fuel contains something new that
disagrees with the varnish, who knows. Hence my interest in your
fuel-proofer concept.

It has been a long time since I handled any model airplane fuel-proofer,
but I seem to recall its consistency is much thinner than varnish, so
this could make it difficult to apply by brush, and it might run. Were
you planning to spray? If so I guess masking would be mandatory.

I have re-applied my transfers and coated with varnish again, this time
lightly scuffing the tank with 600 grit sandpaper where the transfer
would go (imagining this might give it something to grip). But based on
previous experience I consider this a temporary job. I look forward to
your report...

Cheers
Rick F

Re: Tank sticker / transfer comming off

Faries78
Pretty helpful information on these stickers. Few months ago, I got vehicle wraps for my truck with the help of a renowned graphic designer. Got amazing wraps from them and really happy to get these wraps at very good prices.