Weak Spark

adrianfryatt2004
The bike - '57 250 crusader

Just getting the bike back on the road...the spark appears to be a bit miserable.  No spark is produced at the plug when manually opening the points.  There is an intermittent feeble white spark at the plug on kickover.

Background:

Points are new and correctly gapped
Old condensor - new one ordered
Battery is new but only reads 5.5 volts even after being on the charger (replacement one imminent)
All Connections clean and tight
Coil - new

Can I assume that my weak battery is the culprit?

Re: Weak Spark

Bare-2
Can I assume that my weak battery is the culprit?

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20Weak%20Spark>Yes

Re: Weak Spark

P Snidal

>Battery is new but only reads 5.5 volts even after being on the
>charger (replacement one imminent)
>All Connections clean and tight
>Coil - new
>
>Can I assume that my weak battery is the culprit?

Wi'oot Doot, laddie! Try it with the charger hooked up for a comparison.
ps www.enfield.20m.com

Re: Weak Spark

NYCBSAers
Battery is new but only reads 5.5 volts

---------------------------------------

See above

Marty

Re: Re: Weak Spark

Al-101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM254ivJ9nE

Marty, you definitely need to perform a load test on your battery. A fully charged 6V battery should measure 6.3V at the terminals. The measurement obtained by you of 5.5V indicates a severely discharged battery or  one with a collapsed and shorted cell.

The video might be somewhat helpful. And, a similar load-tester is available from Harbor Freight Tools for about $20. Some auto parts shops like Autozone will perform a load test free of charge; but, to do that the battery must be removed from the machine and presented to them at the counter.

   Al in Philadelphia

________________________________

Re: Re: Weak Spark

Al-101
Marty, are you very sure that your battery charger is actually charging the battery? An ammeter in series with one of the charger's leads will indicate the presence of current flow into the battery. We did have a fellow completely stymied by a similar problem until it was discovered that the charger was not doing its job.

    Al

Marty, are you very sure that your battery charger is actually charging the
 battery?

STOP STOP STOP  It's not me.  I simply replied that a voltage of  5.5 might
be the cause of the weak spark.

Marty (my bike runs) Sabba