enfield bullet tools on a norton commando?

enfield bullet tools on a norton commando?

david berryman-2

howdy

does anybody know if the enfield factory tools for the bullet will work on a norton commando?  i have to pull my primary gear & clutch basket off which ive done w my bullet but never tried before on the commando. im doubtin the tools are interchangeable but hoping not to have to spend more money on more bike specific tools. any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
dave

Re: enfield bullet tools on a norton commando?

P Snidal

>does anybody know if the enfield factory tools for the bullet will
>work on a norton commando?  i have to pull my primary gear & clutch
>basket off which ive done w my bullet but never tried before on the
>commando. im doubtin the tools are interchangeable but hoping not to
>have to spend more money on more bike specific tools. any help would
>be appreciated.

I've avoided Nortons since they abandoned The Best Chassis Ever Built
in '~58 to build those vibrator white-finger 750 Atlastics and then
the Commodos, but I remember reading a number of horror stories about
the famous Nortie Exploding Clutches when I still read Brit-Iron 'way
back when.  I got so tired, in fact, of reading Nortie horror stories
while actually only interested in Triumphs and Enfields that I went
looking and found this yahoogroup, and started a new one,
triumph-twins, for Tri fans not interested in the horror stories
about the rubber-strung two-piece frames and exploding clutches, to
mention the two most common threads.  (Another one was cutting down
on the vibration, which is an even funnier joke.  How you do that is
drop it back to a 500 or at most 600 twin, which is how Norton
handled it before the "big inch" crazies in Sales took over from the
Engineers in Engineering.

But I digress.  I jump in here only to caution you: DO NOT mess with
your clutch without proper advance information AND the proper
dismantling tool.  It's sort of like deciding to take apart an old
Triumph sprung hub or air brake maxi-brake without the proper
knowledge and fittings.  Or knocking apart a truck split rim.  All
with a high potential danger to fingers, hands, and even life!

My advice would be to look for a Norton yahogroup.  I'm sure there
are lots out there!
And get a good manual - as always.  And not mine, in this case! 8-)
Good luck with it - and be careful!
ps

Re: enfield bullet tools on a norton commando?

david berryman-2
pete,

as always thanks for the sage advice. i wish there was a norton guru like you who had written a comprehensive commando manual.

i do have the one tool to compress the clutch & get the circlip out. thats the dealdly one you've heard about. other than that and a puller i was wondering if there was anything else i needed. doesnt sound like it.

so thanks again.

cheers,

db

sent from the future! 

On Sep 14, 2012, at 7:45, P Snidal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>does anybody know if the enfield factory tools for the bullet will
>work on a norton commando? i have to pull my primary gear & clutch
>basket off which ive done w my bullet but never tried before on the
>commando. im doubtin the tools are interchangeable but hoping not to
>have to spend more money on more bike specific tools. any help would
>be appreciated.

I've avoided Nortons since they abandoned The Best Chassis Ever Built
in '~58 to build those vibrator white-finger 750 Atlastics and then
the Commodos, but I remember reading a number of horror stories about
the famous Nortie Exploding Clutches when I still read Brit-Iron 'way
back when. I got so tired, in fact, of reading Nortie horror stories
while actually only interested in Triumphs and Enfields that I went
looking and found this yahoogroup, and started a new one,
triumph-twins, for Tri fans not interested in the horror stories
about the rubber-strung two-piece frames and exploding clutches, to
mention the two most common threads. (Another one was cutting down
on the vibration, which is an even funnier joke. How you do that is
drop it back to a 500 or at most 600 twin, which is how Norton
handled it before the "big inch" crazies in Sales took over from the
Engineers in Engineering.

But I digress. I jump in here only to caution you: DO NOT mess with
your clutch without proper advance information AND the proper
dismantling tool. It's sort of like deciding to take apart an old
Triumph sprung hub or air brake maxi-brake without the proper
knowledge and fittings. Or knocking apart a truck split rim. All
with a high potential danger to fingers, hands, and even life!

My advice would be to look for a Norton yahogroup. I'm sure there
are lots out there!
And get a good manual - as always. And not mine, in this case! 8-)
Good luck with it - and be careful!
ps

Re: enfield bullet tools on a norton commando?

Marv & Marg
Check out "Modern Motorcycle Mechanics" by Bernie Nicholson. There is a reprint available in good quality paper and professional binding. Nicholson Bros. were the original mail order Brit parts house and Bernie published his first edition in the '30s The final issue was in 1974 and has sage, easy to read, step by step procedures made this the Bible for Brit bikes. There is a chapter for all Brit and most Japanese Bikes up to 1974

--- In [hidden email], David Berryman <texabilly@...> wrote:

> pete,
>
> as always thanks for the sage advice. i wish there was a norton guru like you who had written a comprehensive commando manual.
>
> i do have the one tool to compress the clutch & get the circlip out. thats the dealdly one you've heard about. other than that and a puller i was wondering if there was anything else i needed. doesnt sound like it.
>
> so thanks again.
>
> cheers,
>
> db
>
> sent from the future! 
>
> On Sep 14, 2012, at 7:45, P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote:
>

> >does anybody know if the enfield factory tools for the bullet will
> >work on a norton commando? i have to pull my primary gear & clutch
> >basket off which ive done w my bullet but never tried before on the
> >commando. im doubtin the tools are interchangeable but hoping not to
> >have to spend more money on more bike specific tools. any help would
> >be appreciated.
>
> I've avoided Nortons since they abandoned The Best Chassis Ever Built
> in '~58 to build those vibrator white-finger 750 Atlastics and then
> the Commodos, but I remember reading a number of horror stories about
> the famous Nortie Exploding Clutches when I still read Brit-Iron 'way
> back when. I got so tired, in fact, of reading Nortie horror stories
> while actually only interested in Triumphs and Enfields that I went
> looking and found this yahoogroup, and started a new one,
> triumph-twins, for Tri fans not interested in the horror stories
> about the rubber-strung two-piece frames and exploding clutches, to
> mention the two most common threads. (Another one was cutting down
> on the vibration, which is an even funnier joke. How you do that is
> drop it back to a 500 or at most 600 twin, which is how Norton
> handled it before the "big inch" crazies in Sales took over from the
> Engineers in Engineering.
>
> But I digress. I jump in here only to caution you: DO NOT mess with
> your clutch without proper advance information AND the proper
> dismantling tool. It's sort of like deciding to take apart an old
> Triumph sprung hub or air brake maxi-brake without the proper
> knowledge and fittings. Or knocking apart a truck split rim. All
> with a high potential danger to fingers, hands, and even life!
>
> My advice would be to look for a Norton yahogroup. I'm sure there
> are lots out there!
> And get a good manual - as always. And not mine, in this case! 8-)
> Good luck with it - and be careful!
> ps

Re: enfield bullet tools on a norton commando?

david berryman-2
good tip.  thanks man!

db