hello

Abhinandan-3
gentlemen
it is a privelege to be part of a distinguished group of motorcycle
lovers such as yourselves.
my name is abhinandan, and i am a fighter pilot in the indian air
force. the two machines  that i am madly in love love with are the
MiG 21 (another classic) that i fly and my new bullet 500.
both have similarities, they need to be treated with love and need
lots of care. with the former i am fortunate that i have people to
do that for me, but the latter is slightly problematic.
i need help!!!
let me be rather tactless and get to the point.
1. the timing is almost always off. everytime i get it fixed, it
rides well only for 200 odd km. have done 2700 in the last 26 days
(thats how old my bike is) the bike has been run in by the book.
2. after the first 700 km, she refused to start and the royal
enfield guys changed the cylinder head for me.
3. the top speed is barely 100 kmph, and the pick up is not very 500-
like. the silencer is the original.
4. the royal enfield service station here is not very clued up.
oh!, i forgot to mention, i am stationed at bhuj(wherever that is!)
anyways those are my woes, would be grateful for any help
thank you
abhi

FIGHTER PILOTS DO IT BEST

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/fFPplB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: hello

wayne_bridgeman
take a look at this
http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/feature/bullet/bullet.html
should answer alot of new owner type questions.

--- In [hidden email], "Abhinandan"
<unguidedmissile@r...> wrote:

> 4. the royal enfield service station here is not very clued up.
> oh!, i forgot to mention, i am stationed at bhuj(wherever that is!)
> anyways those are my woes, would be grateful for any help
> thank you
> abhi

i thought one of the great marketing strengths of the enfield marque
in india was the creation of a vast and well dispersed support network
of independent mechanics. is this something that eicher has allowed to
fall by the wayside?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/fFPplB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: hello

wali
If the timing is moving it may well be that the advance/retard unit is sticking.

  <unguidedmissile@r...> wrote:

  > 4. the royal enfield service station here is not very clued up.
  > oh!, i forgot to mention, i am stationed at bhuj(wherever that is!)
  > anyways those are my woes, would be grateful for any help
  > thank you
  > abhi

  i thought one of the great marketing strengths of the enfield marque
  in india was the creation of a vast and well dispersed support network
  of independent mechanics. is this something that eicher has allowed to
  fall by the wayside?

  Your personal settings are at:
  To unsubscribe, send a blank email to

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/fFPplB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: hello

glssgrg
Abhi,
A Mig-21? Man, what a hotrod!
 It should be pointed out that the Indian Air Force's Migs were entirely built in India, so I
guess they can build a motorcycle!
If I help with the timing, can I get a ride in the two-seat Mig?  Just an hour or so, a quick
run up to Mach 1.5, then enough combat manouvres that I throw up at least twice! I'll
clean up afterward!

There's only a few things that can change timing;
-Spark erosion of the points, usually very gradual.
-Wear on the points cam follower on the ignition cam, also usually gradual, there should
be a little dab of grease there.

If the points gap changes, so does the timing!
The points gap should therefore be checked before the timing, if the gap is drifting way
too wide, the points will open early, and close late. Be sure the points plate is held snug
against the timing plate by its fixing screw.

-Movement of the timing plate itself, check that it is properly secured by its screws. When
you next have the timing set correctly, with the points properly adjusted, it would be a
good idea to mark the timing plate and the inside of the distributor, so you can see any
movement of the plate. This won't be entirely accurate when you change points, but it'll be
pretty close.
-As mentioned below, the ignition advance mechanism behind the timing plate should be
carefully checked. It must rotate smoothly on its shaft, and always be returned to the same
point by its two springs. Clean and lube as required.
That's it, it ain't rocket science.

Your performance numbers aren't far off for a stock 500 Bullet, but the speedometers can
by wildly inaccurate. The stock airbox and exhaust are very restrictive to flow, if you
replace them with performance items, then upjet the carb, you will get a noticable power
improvement. (I don't know what performance options are available in India, but I'll bet
there are some)

Remember, as Stirling Moss said, "speed isn't a number on a dial, speed is entering a 20
MPH corner at 22 MPH.

Congratulations, and best of luck with the bike.
DWM

--- In [hidden email], "Abhinandan" <unguidedmissile@r...> wrote:

> gentlemen
> it is a privelege to be part of a distinguished group of motorcycle
> lovers such as yourselves.
> my name is abhinandan, and i am a fighter pilot in the indian air
> force. the two machines  that i am madly in love love with are the
> MiG 21 (another classic) that i fly and my new bullet 500.
> both have similarities, they need to be treated with love and need
> lots of care. with the former i am fortunate that i have people to
> do that for me, but the latter is slightly problematic.
> i need help!!!
> let me be rather tactless and get to the point.
> 1. the timing is almost always off. everytime i get it fixed, it
> rides well only for 200 odd km. have done 2700 in the last 26 days
> (thats how old my bike is) the bike has been run in by the book.
> 2. after the first 700 km, she refused to start and the royal
> enfield guys changed the cylinder head for me.
> 3. the top speed is barely 100 kmph, and the pick up is not very 500-
> like. the silencer is the original.
> 4. the royal enfield service station here is not very clued up.
> oh!, i forgot to mention, i am stationed at bhuj(wherever that is!)
> anyways those are my woes, would be grateful for any help
> thank you
> abhi
>

> FIGHTER PILOTS DO IT BEST

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/fFPplB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: hello

JEB-7
I had some issues with mine at about the same time.
Start simple. check the points gap. It is really simple to do. Mine
needed adjustment about every 200 and has since settled in.

Pete Snidal's manual is worth it's weight in gold where you are.
Not many special tools are needed. (except for some whitworth sockets)

JEB
04 Bullet-65 "Thumper"