high compression piston

vbermingham
Hi,
I would like to make the following modifications to my 2004 500cc
bullitt.
8.5 piston
street cam
high volume oil pump
32mm carbie
I was not going to do any mods to the big end at this time, has any
one had any problems with the floating bearing with similar
modifications.
Cheers
Vic

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/fFPplB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: high compression piston

glssgrg
Vic,
As Pete points out in his manual, that big-end bush has handled more than 40 HP without
problems, your mods will bring the motor to around 30.
I have all the mods which you list, save the cams (pricey) and a 34mm Mikuni vice your 32.
Doubt there is much difference there. I did a mild porting of the head, and dual-plugged
it. It still kick-starts, I stand on the kicker 'till it bleeds over TDC, then kick.
I went with the 19T countershaft sprocket, as I need at least right-lane Interstate
capability. It gives a max of around 80, a sustained cruise near 70 at reasonable RPMs.
Surprisingly, it still feels quick off the line. If you keep the 17T, you will have a very quick
hole shot.
BTW, my bike, stock, maxed at 70, max cruise near 60, so I interpolate that a stage 1
Bullet, Carb, air cleaner, exhaust, should carry the 18T, max 75, max cruise maybe 65.
If you go to the Indian alloy cylinder, which I did, be careful of the short head stud
between the pushrods, There is only 1/2" inch of thread on the stud, enough in iron, mine
stripped out in alloy. Just invert the stud to put the long thread down. Locktite it.
I really don't have much concern for the big-end bush, as long as I don't lug it. When you
think of the green, semi-refined dead dinosaurs that passed for lube oil in the 40s,
modern oil should protect it well. I will go to synthetic after full break-in.
The bike didn't have 6.5 compression because the motor would stand no more, higher
ratios were common in the 30s. After WWII, Britain was broke. One way to reduce outflow
of currency was to buy the cheapest petrol available, which was sold by all vendors as
"Pool Petrol". The stuff was 72 octane. There were no exceptions, even for racing, and the
immediate postwar TTs were won at lower speeds than the prewar races. I suspect that
Indian regular is pretty, well, regular, and speed isn't an issue there, so they never saw a
need to increase the ratio.
Odd that, going into 2006, we should still be dealing with the aftereffects of WWII.
DWM

--- In [hidden email], "vbermingham" <vbermingham@y...> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to make the following modifications to my 2004 500cc
> bullitt.
> 8.5 piston
> street cam
> high volume oil pump
> 32mm carbie
> I was not going to do any mods to the big end at this time, has any
> one had any problems with the floating bearing with similar
> modifications.
> Cheers
> Vic

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/fFPplB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: high compression piston

MARSH BOB
Why did you buy a Royal Enfield if you want to get
into higher compression pistons and cams the  bike is
what she is built like a  bullet 60 mph and a regular
oil change if you want more than this why do you not
by a Harley HAha
Bob

Yahoo! Exclusive Xmas Game, help Santa with his celebrity party - http://santas-christmas-party.yahoo.net/