kick starting

Patrick Theo
Hey group
My 1995 bullet was sitting for 2 weeks (weather conditions here in Cyprus are quiet good, 14-16 degrees), so i decided to go for a short ride, after a number of kicks my bullet has finally fired and stayed alive as long as I didn't open the throttle, when opening the throttle the engine died, this has been repeated for a couple of times.  I have also noticed that white smoke was coming out of the air filter box and a tiny quantity of petrol was leaking out of either the carp or the fuel tap hose, when the engine was alive it sounded a bit different.
I have faced same problem in the past and I had it fixed by my local mechanic, this time I have decided to fix it myself thus I seek for your advice. Any idea what seems to be the problem?
Do you think that a flat or almost flat battery may be the cause of my problem? if yes how is this possible since the bike has fired in the first place
Regards
Patrick

Re: kick starting

Tom-413

In order to get some discussion going, I will proffer an opinion:  The main jet is clogged with varnish from evaporated petrol as a result of sitting in warm sun.  There is enough fuel from the idle jet to start, but when additional air introduced when the throttle slide is opened, the fuel mix is too lean.  My suggestion is to remove the carb and clean the main and needle jet.
--- In [hidden email], "Patrick" <patr_elen@...> wrote:

> Hey group
> My 1995 bullet was sitting for 2 weeks (weather conditions here in Cyprus are quiet good, 14-16 degrees), so i decided to go for a short ride, after a number of kicks my bullet has finally fired and stayed alive as long as I didn't open the throttle, when opening the throttle the engine died, this has been repeated for a couple of times.  I have also noticed that white smoke was coming out of the air filter box and a tiny quantity of petrol was leaking out of either the carp or the fuel tap hose, when the engine was alive it sounded a bit different.
> I have faced same problem in the past and I had it fixed by my local mechanic, this time I have decided to fix it myself thus I seek for your advice. Any idea what seems to be the problem?
> Do you think that a flat or almost flat battery may be the cause of my problem? if yes how is this possible since the bike has fired in the first place
> Regards
> Patrick

Re: kick starting

patrickj_crum
Hi George,
Can you let us know the configuration? What model, carb, etc? Does it idle and tick over well when warm, cold, etc?
10x is a lot. properly tuned, it should start in just a couple kicks at most, provided you don't get out of sequence or murphy plays a joke on you.  For mine, (500CC cast iron "Classic" bullet with an amal 930) the procedure is pretty straight forward. If it's dead cold, I kick it over a few times to loosen it up. then I tickle the carb til it overflows. Close the air valve (choke) bring her just past tdc, ignition on, and kick. it USUALLY starts right up. Then I simply back off the air while she warms up. Finding the right air adjustment on warm up is the trickiest part for me. Occasionally, she won't start on the first couple kicks. At that point, I will open up the air completely, crack the throttle just a hair, and kick again. if that fails, I open the throttle almost full and kick. Be cautious on that latter move as it can cause a kick-back, and the engine will want to rev really high if it does take, so you'll want to back it off quickly. It works well if you've inadvertantly flooded things.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Pat

--- In [hidden email], eastwood7@... wrote:

> can some one give me some pointers on starting an enfield. i have to
> kick mine over ten times or more before it runs. thanks george

Re: kick starting

Jon Tait
Here's a thought - how's your battery voltage? My '92 500 has had iffy
charging in the past, and just before it would stop running altogether, it
would get so that it would just about run at idle, but any throttle would
(I'm guessing) raise combustion chamber pressures to the point that it blew
the spark out! Might be worth a look...

Cheers, Jon

This plain text message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl - www.blackspider.com

If you are not the intended recipient it may be unlawful for you to read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use the information in this e-mail; please return the e-mail to the sender and immediately permanently delete it and any attachments. The sender does not accept liability for any data corruption, interception or unauthorised amendment to which e-mail may be susceptible, or the consequences thereof. Opinions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of AP Racing Ltd are neither given nor endorsed by it.

Whilst AP Racing Ltd take reasonable care to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail does not contain software viruses, this cannot be guaranteed and you should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

AP Racing Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability for any damage that you suffer as a result of software viruses.

Re: kick starting

Bare-2
I don't think your spark as "blown out" by higher compression. The
problem lies with the battery not having enough voltage to produce a
decent spark in the first place. Although higher compression can require
more voltage, and perhaps, a new plug would take care of the problem.
New plugs work more efficiently than old ones, even if you think they
have been cleaned well.
Which reminds me, I need to change out my 15,000 mile plug!
Bare

        Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "Jon Tait" jontaituk
      <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20kick%20starting>

Here's a thought - how's your battery voltage? My '92 500 has had iffy
charging in the past, and just before it would stop running altogether, it
would get so that it would just about run at idle, but any throttle would
(I'm guessing) raise combustion chamber pressures to the point that it blew
the spark out! Might be worth a look...

Cheers, Jon<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20kick%20starting>