multi weight oil

Patrick Tooke
I've got an 06 bullet 500 electra,1600mi., first time owner of an RE.
I'm wondering if anyone has run straight 50 wt.?
I know 20-50  was recommended by the dealer.
I run straight 50 in all my other bikes.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Pat

Re: multi weight oil

fiferwd
I may get shouted down on this, but I always trust the owner's manual first and the dealer most.  I have been using 20W50 Castrol for motorcycle engines in my 2005 Bullet and have not been disappointed with the result, so long as it stays in the system and not on the windshield of the SUV tailgating me.
Yrs,
Bill

I've got an 06 bullet 500 electra,1600mi., first time owner of an RE.
I'm wondering if anyone has run straight 50 wt.?
I know 20-50  was recommended by the dealer.
I run straight 50 in all my other bikes.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Pat#AOLMsgPart_1_91278459-a32c-4c82-81f3-fa51cace41d8 td{color: black;}

Re: multi weight oil

Patrick Tooke
Thanks Bill
you're a brave man declaring what brand of motor oil you use!
Pat
On Oct 1, 2012, at 12:35 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I may get shouted down on this, but I always trust the owner's manual first and the dealer most.  I have been using 20W50 Castrol for motorcycle engines in my 2005 Bullet and have not been disappointed with the result, so long as it stays in the system and not on the windshield of the SUV tailgating me.
> Yrs,
> Bill

Bare-2
Pat,
My first question is why are you running 50 wt oil in anything? That
went out in the 60's.
There are too many advantages to running multi grade over straight
weights, starting with starting. The bike is much easier to start from
cold with the multi grade, either by thumb or leg. Particularly true
with the Electra, it has a bit of a weak sprag clutch, and the less
effort you put on that the better off it is and  you, too. The bike gets
lube to the essential parts much more quickly on startup than with
single grade. reducing wear. When the oils are heated up to operating
temperatures they have the same viscosity, so there is no difference at
operating temps. There is little likelihood of the bike blowing out more
oil with multi grade versus single.
Bare
I've got an 06 Bullet 500 Electra, 1600 mi., first time owner of an RE.
I'm wondering if anyone has run straight 50 wt.?
I know 20-50 was recommended by the dealer.
I run straight 50 in all my other bikes.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Pat

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20multi%20weight%20oil>

Re: Re: multi weight oil

Patrick Tooke
Bare
I guess it's old age.
From my first triumph through all my shovel heads, and my goose now days.
I've run solid lifters. I've tried multi weight oil, it's not the same. You can hear the difference.
My buddy showed up at the track one day on his HD Road bagger/glide/something or other.
He went to leave, fired it up and the hydraulic lifters sounded like they were swapping holes.
ILMAO and he said it always sounds like that on start up. I told him to put straight 50wt. in it and he thanks me to this day.
Now if it weren't for engineers, i'd be living in a cave rubbing two sticks together for heat.
And I thank them for synthetic oils. A drag racer turned me on to them, but I was skeptical.
I got an old raggedy triumph here, patched up the birds nest wiring, oiled it up and rode, definitely need a rebuild.
I didn't touch that bike for a year or more. When I pulled the motor down it had a thick coat of oil on every thing.
I knew right then I'd never have to worry about dry starts again. No bearing surface would be dry from sitting, never seen anything like it before. Thank you engineers.
Today is going to be the acid test, I'm doing my first oil change. Last night when I rolled in the lifters were rattling. I checked them when they were hot, and didn't seem to be too lose. I'll check them again when I go out.
I will check back, and yes i've tasted crow before.
Thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
Pat
Oh as far as starting, the push button is only for emergencies

On Oct 2, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Bare wrote:

> Pat,
> My first question is why are you running 50 wt oil in anything? That went out in the 60's.
> There are too many advantages to running multi grade over straight weights, starting with starting. The bike is much easier to start from cold with the multi grade, either by thumb or leg. Particularly true with the Electra, it has a bit of a weak sprag clutch, and the less effort you put on that the better off it is and  you, too. The bike gets lube to the essential parts much more quickly on startup than with single grade. reducing wear. When the oils are heated up to operating temperatures they have the same viscosity, so there is no difference at operating temps. There is little likelihood of the bike blowing out more oil with multi grade versus single.
> Bare
> I've got an 06 Bullet 500 Electra, 1600 mi., first time owner of an RE.
> I'm wondering if anyone has run straight 50 wt.?
> I know 20-50 was recommended by the dealer.
> I run straight 50 in all my other bikes.
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Pat

Re: multi weight oil

NYCBSAers
> My first question is why are you running 50 wt oil in anything?

__________________

This issue appears every few years on the BSA list.  The reply is  often
"The manual says to".  The fact that there were no multigrade oils  when those
manuals were written is moot.  I had the top end of MY BSA done  a few
years back.  The machinist did a "plateau hone" and told me to use  synthetic
multigrade as this process did not require any seating of the  rings.  I have
actually heard that synthetic oil is too slippery for old  bikes.  Damn, and
I thought oil was supposed to be slippery.

Marty (No, I don't believe in motorcycle specific oils either)  Sabba

Re: multi weight oil

Bunty Golightly

Oh I say , an oil thread , good oh !
Nothing like an oil thread to get the juices flowing and the blood boiling - eh what.

Bullets are fine motorcycles , designed before the modern era don't yer know , nothing modern about 'em .
Hence the need for jolly good old fashioned engine oil , none of your nancy boy , flashy multi grade nonsense by Jove - won't do at all .
Furthermore , Sir Isaac Pitman [ The Book of the Royal Enfield ] doth advise us thus ;
50 grade for summer and 40 for winter , that thy days upon the road be long and plentiful - don't yer know .

Bunty was able to lay down a few cases of  Crustacean's X100 special reserve and Buzzurine Energol 50 vintage in the cellar some 40 years ago and has found them perfectly adequate for his lubrication - just so long as one gives 'em a good shake to get the additives back into suspension , all is well - quite so .
For emergencies upon the high road one could always stop at a roadside hostelry and obtain a pint of Mobillion's No 1 Old Piston Squeezer - but just to get one home of course .

Talking about piston squeezer that reminds me , where the devil has Miss Phitten-Willing dissapeared to ? She's supposed to administer me daily dose of Castrol R at this hour .
The Oil Changer's Arms will be open in 10 minutes and Bunty needs be orf for his own lubrication , haar haaaaaar haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar !!
To horse ! Last one arriving at the pub is a
dipstick .
Tally Ho !

Your servant ,
Maj Bunty Golightly MBH , Defender of the Kickstart , Companion of the Royal Floatchamber , Order of Viscous Preeminentus .

--- In [hidden email], "Patrick Tooke" <tapkoote@...> wrote:

> I've got an 06 bullet 500 electra,1600mi., first time owner of an RE.
> I'm wondering if anyone has run straight 50 wt.?
> I know 20-50  was recommended by the dealer.
> I run straight 50 in all my other bikes.
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Pat

Re: Re: multi weight oil

Patrick Tooke
By damed
I don't have a clue what you said sir, but I'm running 50wt till the cows come home.
I love this 6.5:1 thumper, bronze bushings and all!!!
Will midify it to a foot clutch and hand shift, just to baffel the natives!!