rebuild

vic-38
I have a 500 electric start 2004 bullitt. I have just finished a rebuild and have run into a problem.
The motor rotates freely until I tighten up the drive side crank shaft nut, then the engine tightens up, I have ordered a new bearing to sprocket spacer as the old one has some wear, could this be the problem or are I missing something. I have checked and rechecked the rest of the assembly. The rebuild included replacing all bearings and seals.
Cheers
Vic

Re: rebuild

P Snidal

At 07:20 AM 11/28/2012, you wrote:
I have a 500 electric start 2004
bullitt. I have just finished a rebuild and have run into a problem.
The motor rotates freely until I tighten up the drive side crank shaft
nut, then the engine tightens up, I have ordered a new bearing to
sprocket spacer as the old one has some wear, could this be the problem
or are I missing something. I have checked and rechecked the rest of the
assembly. The rebuild included replacing all bearings and seals.
Cheers
Vic
I'm sure you're thinking this yourself, Vic, but I'll reinforce your
nightmare.  Tightening your driveside crank stub against the main
bearing pack can't in itself be expected to tighten up the crank's
rotation.  Logic tells us that last little bit of  movement of
the crank assy towards the LS crank half must be delivering the
interference.
A quick reference to the exploded view of the engine tells me there needs
to be a spacer
 washer (labelled bit 74 in my dwg) on the crank stub twixt LS
flywheel and the bearing pack.  If you can find an extra washer of
the crank stub dia in your stash of extra nuts and bolts and such,
that'll be your culprit!
Let me see if I can embed the detail dwg from my manual:

The distance piece/spacer washer  is clearly shown at the left, if
this comes through.
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it's looking like a
re-strip......  8-(
ps

www.enfield.20m.com

    __._,_.___

              Reply to sender

              Reply to group

            Start a New Topic

                            Messages in this topic
                (2)

      Recent Activity:

      New Members
      2

      New Photos
      2

      New Files
      8

    Visit Your Group

      Your personal settings are at:
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
[hidden email]

  Switch to: Text-Only , Daily Digest  • Unsubscribe  • Terms of Use  • Send us Feedback

  .

__,_._,___

38e84c.jpg (20K) Download Attachment

Re: rebuild

vic-38

Thanks for that but the shim (74) is fitted. I am thinking of fittings another shim between the seal bush and the sprocket hopping this will give the clearance
Cheers
Vic

Re: rebuild

royaloilfields

sorry to tell you this Vic,but it's another teardown.You've forgotten to fit the spacer between the roller and ball bearing.
regards
colin

Re: rebuild

vic-38
Thanks Colin
You are dead right, tore down the motor and just came in an was about to send you a message.Had to order a new spacer.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Vic

--- In [hidden email], "royaloilfields" <cfurf5@...> wrote:

> sorry to tell you this Vic,but it's another teardown.You've forgotten to fit the spacer between the roller and ball bearing.
> regards
> colin

Re: rebuild

vic-38

just for intrest the reason for the rebuild was a broken tube on the oil feed nut,no oil got to the crank shaft, the damage was a broken crank pin and all main bearings where destroyed.I think I probly traveled 200mile from when the motor started to make an unusal noise I guess it shows how tough there old machines are.